X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSP Required Before Basic?

Was wondering - Are you required to go to RSP drill before BCT? I am a split op so I am wondering.

Yep. Until you leave for basic training you will attend any scheduled RSP drills. When you come back you will also attend all scheduled Rsp drills until you leave for AIT. Depending, you will attend one more after completing training before going to your unit.

They work with your personal schedule also. If you are involved in school activities and get it approved well beforehand, you are allowed to miss them. Sometimes required to make them up.

Comment

Oh, I would like to bring something up and get some feedback. It was brought to my attention from a Ssg in a unit nearby. Why is it split op recruits go back to Rsp and dont get some on the job learning experience from their unit rather then go back to Rsp? Those soldiers are helpful at Rsp to those of us who havent gone yet, (but there is also fulltime staff there to do this) but to best help the guard as a whole, wouldnt it be in everyones best interest to start getting training at their unit? They would be better prepared for AIT and better prepared to join the unit when they get back.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jdog]Was wondering - Are you required to go to RSP drill before BCT? I am a split op so I am wondering.[/QUOTE]

if you only have 1 before you ship out you can probably get out of it, otherwise, yes, you need to go. Easy money, you might as well go. If you have conflicts with school events or something they will work with you to make it up.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jdog]Was wondering - Are you required to go to RSP drill before BCT? I am a split op so I am wondering.[/QUOTE]
          Yes and I would recommend it anyway. Its a good program to get you ready for BCT.

Comment

I know here in MD we have quite a few split-op soldiers in the RSP. They attend drill every month, and even have study hall for classes while at drill.

I do believe RSP is mandantory before attending BCT, and even 2 drills after BCT before being sent on to your unit. You can read some more about it here; [url]http://www.marylandguard.net/train_rsp.shtml[/url]

Comment

[QUOTE=WIBecky74]Oh, I would like to bring something up and get some feedback. It was brought to my attention from a Ssg in a unit nearby. Why is it split op recruits go back to Rsp and dont get some on the job learning experience from their unit rather then go back to Rsp? Those soldiers are helpful at Rsp to those of us who havent gone yet, (but there is also fulltime staff there to do this) but to best help the guard as a whole, wouldnt it be in everyones best interest to start getting training at their unit? They would be better prepared for AIT and better prepared to join the unit when they get back.[/QUOTE]

WIBecky74 you bring up a good question. Here is a good answer. Green phase (split Op Soldiers) need to continue RSP because there is at least a 9 month break between BCT and AIT. It has been prove that if they do not get Basic Soldier Skills training then they have more problems at AIT then not. Yes if they go to the unit then they will get traininig in ther MOS, but they will not get the Basic skills refeshing that is needed. Units run at a different pace then what is needed to keep the skills needed between BCT and AIT. I hope that this cleared up any confussion.

Comment

Thank you and good answer. I understand and respect it. However, I also see each month what goes on. I'm not going to post negativity about the guard in here, but my opinion still stands that they would be doing a better service getting some on the job training. The idea works in theory (getting the basic training threw Rsp because of the 9+ month break between Bct and Ait) I just see a whole lot of other things happening.

Comment

I never went to RSP before BCT that could be because I shipped out 2 weeks after I signed up, and RSP was the weekend I left. I go to one RSP in a couple weeks I just returned and it will be the only one I ever have to go to.

Comment

Honestly, WIBecky74, on the job training in your MOS would definitely be helpful before you're shipped to AIT, and it would be a lot more fun than reviewing things you've already learned in BCT, but when it comes time to leave for AIT, I'd rather go into it knowing everything I've already learned, as opposed to forgetting some things and learning my job, which they're going to teach my anyways.

Luckily for me, my friend is the same MOS as me, so he loaned me the books they issued him in AIT for me to read up on before I go.

As much as I dread going to RSP because I hate reviewing things I've already learned, it is nice to be able to help those that haven't shipped yet. At my RSP, green phasers do most of the reviewing with red and white phasers, it puts us in a leadership role, helps us learn better. Not to mention, it's a little more laid back when studying, which I feel helps you concentrate better, at least for me.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just looked at the post dates, my apologies for reviving something this old.

Comment

I was in the program when it was being tested and not officially called RSP yet. Just knowing the rank structure, military courtesy and drill and ceremony already give you a big head start at boot camp.

Comment

[B]You have to attend IDT (inactive Duty Training) aka DRILL.[/B]

As a new Warrior, you should want to attend drill. You will gain an advantage over most that will go to BCT with you that are in the Reserves or Active duty Army.

Drill = $$$

However,

If you miss 9 UTA in a 12 month period [I](without a [B]prior approved excuse [/B]or split certificate)[/I] you can be discharged for Unsatisfactory Participation.

Each day of drill is comprised of two units called UTA (Unit Training Assembly)

Sat = 2 UTA
                        Sun = 2 UTA

Sat = 2 UTA
                        Sun = 2 UTA

1/2 of Sat = 1 UTA

This used to be different, but since the addition of RSP it has changed. A lot of money and effort has been invested into the RSP to prepare Warriors for training to produce the best Soldiers possible.

"What is there was an RSP .....and nobody came?" :eek:

AR 135-178 will confirm.

Comment

Working...
                        X