Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civilian to Special Forces-Can it be done?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian to Special Forces-Can it be done?

I was disappointed to learn that there is no 18x contract in the National Guard. But I have heard about the "REP-63" program but don't really know much about.

So is it realistically possible for a civilian to get into National Guard Special Forces?

Where are you located? 19th & 20th SF units are your route...assuming you are a male? 20th is located mainly east of the Mississippi river (and in the south)...19th group is more out west. Goggle/MSN/Yahoo either of these units, and you can find the one nearest your home. You can join up off the street into these units, just don't fail. I'd say it would take a bit over a year to complete training (2 yrs. if you were interesed in medic). This site is for one of the battalions, it includes the recruiter link. Get in touch with them, Godd luck. SITE - [url]www.ngms.state.ms.us/2-20sfg[/url]

Comment

[QUOTE=AySupa]I was disappointed to learn that there is no 18x contract in the National Guard. But I have heard about the "REP-63" program but don't really know much about.

So is it realistically possible for a civilian to get into National Guard Special Forces?[/QUOTE]

What is your goal? Is your goal is simply to try out for the SF, or is your goal to succeed and actually become an SF Soldier?

The success rates for anyone trying for SF is fairly low, but statistically the worst success rates are those that come from the 18X enlistment. People tend to think first of the physical requirements of SF, but the mental component is usually what makes the difference.

I recommend that enlist as an Infantryman, and after a few years of preparation and experience make your SF application. It's better to walk to success than run to failure.

Comment

The REP-63 program is the National Guard equivalent of the 18X program. The difference being your initial MOS training. Active duty will put the 18Xs through 11B AIT so if they wash out they get sent to infantry units. The ARNG will put you through an MOS that they have in their state (not always infantry) so that if you do wash out, they get something out of their investment in you. e.g. My older brother enlisted as a REP-63, his state doesn't have infantry but it does have engineers, so after basic he went to 21C AIT.

Interestingly enough, the REP-63 program predates the 18X program.

As the previous poster stated, it might be better to enlist somewhere else first. I can't think of how many times I heard guys say, "This just isn't for me."

Comment

Working...
        X