X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nursing in the national guard

Quick question...I am a Registered Nurse and I am curious to know exactly what do nurses do in the Army National Guard? Do nurses perform field duties or are they assigned to work in Army hospitals? I don't know a lot of nurses in the Army National Guard. I know a few in the Army Reserves Nurse Corps, Navy and Airforce. What information can you give me?
    Thanks in advance.

Nursing

91W is the same as a nurse in the National Guard. You go out on missions with soldiers as a combat medic or you can stay on base and work in the hospital or TMC (Troop Medical Clinic).
    Last edited by Captain Irvin; April 26th, 2006, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Hey there

OK I am a 91W in the guard and it is not the same thing as a nurse. We are not nurses we are medics. We have two forms of nurses in the guard. There is the LPN which is enlisted, and there is the RN which is a commissioned officer. If you are an RN then you will become an officer in the guard. You will either be at a field hospital or at a clinic or hospital.

SPC Catie Kinnick

Comment

As a nurse in the National Guard you will probably work for the state's Medical Detachment at their clinic or at a hospital if your unit is close to an Army base. Since you're already an RN, it 'll be a matter of getting your commission either by direct commissioning or by attending the state's OCS program. Contact the AMEDD recruiter for your state for information particular to the Medical corps.
        Last edited by AbnMtn; April 24th, 2006, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Registered Nurse

Registered Nurse = direct commission
          RN associates = 0-1 LT (with no experience, ADN in Guard. Active duty requires BSN = 0-1 Lt.)

unless, you go through ROTC and take advantage of the academic internship training opportunities available exclusive to nursing thru ROTC as a nursing student

On drill weekends you could help with physicals or just show up and give a lecture /training to medics every now and then, but more importantly you are on the rolls. You may also substitute drills with CME elsewhere. You are most importantly needed as a professional licensed nurse ready to deploy when your time comes. They need nurses. If you do not want to help near the battlefield do not sign up. Nurses are in great demand to be used in the combat support hospitals. You are greatly needed to do what you have already been trained to do. You need to have physical and emotional stamina for what you will do and see.
          Last edited by BoopMD; November 10th, 2007, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X