Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I be an E6 After 18 Months of OCS?

My recruiter told me that when I finish 18 months of OCS I will be a Sgt 1St Class, Is this true?

I will have 80 + semester hours at the 18 month mark and therefore will be a Sgt1st Class according to my recruiter.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Something got garbled in translation.

Once you formally start OCS (not necessarily at initial enlistment, but when the OCS class formally begins) you'll be paid at grade E6. You won't be a staff sergeant! You'll be an officer candidate, with the pay grade of E6 (there's a big difference ... any [I]real[/I] staff sergeant will be glad to explain it to you while you do pushups).

You may wish to raise this fact to your Recruiter, because if he's explaining this poorly he'll want to correct himself.

Comment

Yey there definatly was a misunderstanding there, and ill gladly explain it cause you dont need to be a E6 to understand how much work it is to get it.

Comment

[QUOTE=klacey]My recruiter told me that when I finish 18 months of OCS I will be a Sgt 1St Class, Is this true?

I will have 80 + semester hours at the 18 month mark and therefore will be a Sgt1st Class according to my recruiter.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin[/QUOTE]

At the end of your 18 month OCS if you have [B]met all course requirements[/B] you'll be commissioned as a 2LT (an officer). You need to get with your recruiter to get clarification on what the OCS option entails. For the benefit of others thinking about this option, here is the bolts and nuts of the program. (This is not all inclusive, just the most important features of the program).

[B]Eligibility[/B]

1. Meet the standards of chapter 2 of the ECM.
        2. Be a U.S. citizen.
        3. Meet local or State OCS qualifications.
        4. Be at least 18 but no more than 30 (waivers are authorized).
        5. Have a minimum of 60 credit hours from accredited college/university prior to enrollment in the program. You also must have 90 credit hours at the end of the program prior to your anticipated date of commissioning.
        6. Contract for 6 years (NPS/GNPS) or 3 years (PS).
        7. Meet the moral, mental and physical requirements of NGR 600-100.

Additionally, you must have completed Basic Training prior to attending OCS. Once you complete basic, you're advanced to the pay grade of E-4 but wear the OCS insignia and start your pre-OCS training. Once you fully enter the OCS program, you're advanced to the grade of E-6 (SSG) but wear the OCS insignia and will remain at that pay grade until completion of the program and commissioning as an officer.

Two major items that you must know about the program are:

1. If you fail to complete the OCS program you may be ordered to go to AIT (if not already completed) and serve the terms of your original contract, or discharged without board action or appeal.
        2. You are not entitled any of the SRIP bonus incentives, however, you may be eligible for federal and/or state educational benefits.

This is a great option for applicants who wish to eventually become a Commissioned Officer with the Army National Guard. Finally, all OCS candidates must understand that they are required to complete the Officer Basic Course (OBC) upon successful completion of the OCS program.

Your local recruiter and and representatives from your Regional Training Institute (RTI), can provide you with detailed information about the program.

Comment

Working...
        X