X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement?

Do years of service in the army and army reserves count towards retirement in the national guard reserves?

Yes. Your years of Active, Guard, or Reserve service all count cumulatively toward your retirement. The only thing that does not count is IRR time. When computing your total Time In Service your IRR time will count which will affect your drill pay for example - however your retiremnt is compurted based on actual service.

You should have recieved a Retirement Point Statement form the reserves, if not you can contact [URL="https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/protect/Reserve/index.htm"][B][U]AHRC[/U][/B][/URL] for assistance in tracking that information down. You are specifically looking for an [B]ARPC Form 249-2-E[/B] you may have one in your records, as well you can use past LES's to verify drill performance.

On Active duty you recieve 1 retirement point per day (365) and in the Guard and reserves 1 point per MUTA (4 points for an average Saturday/Sunday drill).

Comment

If I understand this correctly, your saying since I finished a 4 year enlistment and completed my IRR committmant of 4 year, for purposes of drill pay, I actualy have 8 years of service and for purposes of retirement, I would have 4 years?

Comment

[QUOTE=Ravenmik]If I understand this correctly, your saying since I finished a 4 year enlistment and completed my IRR committmant of 4 year, for purposes of drill pay, I actualy have 8 years of service and for purposes of retirement, I would have 4 years?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are correct. All years of service count towards pay purposes, but only years in which you serve a minimum amount of days count for retirement. I personally have 17 years for pay, 16 for retirement (one IRR year, in which I didn't drill).

The retirement system can get complicated, but a general rule is, The more you do, the more you get.

[url]http://www.armyg1.army.mil/RSO/abt.asp[/url]
        [url]http://www.armyg1.army.mil/RSO/pay.asp[/url]

Comment

[QUOTE=LRSU_Dog]Yes. Your years of Active, Guard, or Reserve service all count cumulatively toward your retirement. The only thing that does not count is IRR time. When computing your total Time In Service your IRR time will count which will affect your drill pay for example - however your retiremnt is compurted based on actual service.

There is a way to have your IRR time count towards retirement. I have 1 year left with the IRR and will retire with pay. After being out of the military for over 20 years, I enlisted in the Naval Reserve, served 6 years with a drilling unit, then transfered to the IRR. I've been the IRR for over 10 years. If you do correspondence courses to make up at least 35 points per year. You automatically get 15 points for belonging to the IRR. 50 points is what is required to earn a good year. You can earn up to 95 points per year if you want to work at it. The benefits are the same as if you were in a drilling unit, except for the pay and the fact that you can not be promoted while serving in the IRR.

Comment

10 good years in the IRR?

That's interesting -- how did you manage that? I'm thinking of doing the same (specifically -- re-enlist for the last 8 to bring me to 20, then go right in the IRR)...

Comment

Does anyone happen to know the REG that explains how your drill pay is based on your active duty time, IRR time and guard time? I am looking to join up with the NYS guard in this month and I would be hitting my 6 year mark this month as well. I wasn't aware of how your IRR time counts towards time in service for your monthly pay. I was under the impression that I would be picking up where I left off after active duty last April. Thanx very much for the info! -jeff.

Comment

[QUOTE=tampaguy]Does anyone happen to know the REG that explains how your drill pay is based on your active duty time, IRR time and guard time? I am looking to join up with the NYS guard in this month and I would be hitting my 6 year mark this month as well. I wasn't aware of how your IRR time counts towards time in service for your monthly pay. I was under the impression that I would be picking up where I left off after active duty last April. Thanx very much for the info! -jeff.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.dod.mil/comptroller/fmr/07b/"]Here is the financial regulation covering retired pay[/URL]. Good luck.

Comment

Correspondence courses for ING retirement points

ALCON,

I was wondering does correspondence courses offered by ACCP give me retirement points? If so what is the breakdown for a good year.

Comment

Does this work for ING status?

Comment

That's great that correspondence courses offered by ACCP can be transfered for retirement points under the IRR system. How about for ING? does the same rules apply?

Comment

How to Earn an active duty retirement

Hi,

I have just over 18 years active duty. I have been in the guard for almost a year. I have drilled and did my AT for the year. I have also done some ADOS work, I think under RMP. Does any of that count towards an active duty retirement or are they all just reserve retirement points?

What can I do to add to my active duty retirment points?

I want to stay guard, but I want to earn my 20 as soon as possible and be able to receive a retirement check immediately after I stop serving.

Lamont

Comment

[QUOTE=Lamont]Hi,

I have just over 18 years active duty. I have been in the guard for almost a year. I have drilled and did my AT for the year. I have also done some ADOS work, I think under RMP. Does any of that count towards an active duty retirement or are they all just reserve retirement points?

What can I do to add to my active duty retirment points?

I want to stay guard, but I want to earn my 20 as soon as possible and be able to receive a retirement check immediately after I stop serving.

Lamont[/QUOTE]

Before I address the question, as a matter of courtesy please don't carpet-bomb the site with the same question in multiple categories. You've posted this same question in six different places today, which makes it awkward to get a good thread going.

Look at the [URL="https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/protect/reserve/soldierservices/retirement/earningpoints.htm"]Reserve Retirement section on the Human Resources Command website[/URL] (must login with AKO credentials). It will tell you what pay categories earn retirement points under what conditions, and related information. HRC-St Louis has also put together a [URL="https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/Reserve/download/pub/ret-compendium.pdf"]booklet[/URL] which may help you understand the system.

I'm concerned in your particular case that you have 18 years of active federal service. As such, you should not be eligible for ADOS/ADSW service. By policy, the Army wants to prevent you from doing exactly what you're trying to do -- hobble together an active duty retirement from small scraps of active duty days.

Comment

Working...
                          X