X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IG Complaints

I have had several problems with my enlistment. It has basically boiled down to someone not doing there job. A retired guard member suggested I make an IG complaint. What is it and how is it done?

Chapter 6: Grievances & Filing Complaints
    Inspector General Complaints
    An Inspector General (IG) investigates fraud, waste, and abuse, as well as threats to public safety and morale. An IG conducts administrative reviews, inquiries, or investigations to resolve complaints. Inspector General investigations are "leadership tools that indicate where command involvement needs to correct systematic, programmatic, or procedural weaknesses."1 An IG, instructed to evaluate morale and mission performance, may feel more allegiance to the command than to the complainant.

Many counselors dislike IG complaints because the client has virtually no control, is generally ignored, and often finds the investigator hostile. However, IG complaints may be useful to ensure whistleblower protection. Inspectors General may delegate the actual work of investigating and making findings and recommendations downwards, and the officer assigned to investigate the complaint might be in the member's command or an immediately superior command. Inspectors General can only make findings and recommendations. The member's command, a superior command, or Service headquarters will decide whether or not to take action.

All complaints made to the DoD Inspector General are protected communications under the Whistleblower Protection Act. Complainants are protected from reprisals, including unwarranted referrals for mental health evaluations. The DoD IG Hotline can be reached at (800) 424-9098.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    With that being said...
    Wanted to mention i've run into a recruiter who lost my entire packet from Meps, has taken eight months to get a promotion from college credits through, change a life insurance, not answered phone calls and emails, and not acted approprietly in another area. I sat around complaining to everyone about it, and went over his head for things I needed done in a certain time frame and was unable to do myself. Is what it comes down to is there are bad apples out there. We dont hear about the good ones because of just that, they are doing their job. I've learned no one in the Guard is out to babysit us. We have to take the initiative on some things to get them done. Could mean calling three times a day, finding someone else to get it done, or actually doing the things we shouldnt have to, but are allowed to ourself. An in person visit does much more than a phone call or an email. Yes, they should be following the NCO creed and living up to their rank. But it doesnt always happen. Sure it should be brought to someones attention so that things get fixed. But if it boils down to just getting your stuff done so you are squared away, sometimes it takes a bit more effort on your part. I found my complaining (didnt file anything official, just complaining to friends and friends that have been in the Guard for decades) wasnt producing action. One of the guys I know that has been in for 28 years did bring it to someones attention and action was taken, however, it still didnt get my stuff done. I'm just having to take more time out of my day and moving up the chain of command to get things accomplished.

Comment

Suck it up, jarhead:D

Comment

Working...
      X