X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inter State Transfer/IST

This is a post for people that are already in the guard that are thinking or already have moved to a new state and need to get their Inter State Transfer done. Of course all states have a Inter State Transfer Coordinator but the recruiters on the local level will travel more and also know their indiviudal units well that might be of some help. So if you would like just respond to this post with what state you are from and what state you are looking to move to with some contact info and someone will be in contact with you hopefully. Also Later on I will try and get a collection of all 54 state and territory IST cordinators names and numbers.

Now I will be reviewing this post and I will be getting a collection of the most common recruiters on this site and the states they deal with.

New Jersey is of course me SGT Andrew Tischner cell # (908)240-6636. (I am just a recruiter not the IST coordinator)
    Rhode Island Army National Guard SFC Ted Marrero (401) 374-9045

If you are a Recruiter and like to be put on this list please send me a email here and ill add your state and your name also.

I am currently in the AZNG as a 15R. I have not been to AIT yet, and my unit is not all its cracked up to be. I also need to transfer to CA due to spouses relocation to San Diego. Can I transfer to another state and then can I also change MOS to 15U?

Comment

Transfer to CA shouldnt be a problem, when you get to the unit you could talk to the unit about changing MOSs

Comment

i haven't been to basic yet and I want to know what it would take to transfer to Colorado. I live in New York. i want to keep my MOS.
        Last edited by armygirl2007; July 14th, 2007, 08:47 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=armygirl2007]i haven't been to basic yet and I want to know what it would take to transfer to Colorado. I live in New York. i want to keep my MOS.[/QUOTE]

Immediately contact your chain of command (if it's after business hours, leave a message). Inform them as much as possible (date of moving, new address, new phone, new email). Ask to speak to your state's IST Coordinator. Your chain of command will find this person's number for you.

Important safety tip: You're a grown-up now, and this is your life, so no one will work any harder at this than you will. The IST process is not all that hard, but it isn't magic either. This is [U]your[/U] responsibility, so if your IST coordinator has instructions or needs info, then comply immediately and completely. The people who have problems with this process tend to be the ones who don't follow instructions.

Comment

[QUOTE=armygirl2007]i haven't been to basic yet and I want to know what it would take to transfer to Colorado. I live in New York. i want to keep my MOS.[/QUOTE]

Again most of the time keeping your MOS is not a problem. If you have a Home or Record in colorado you can move there even before basic, but usualy its best to do it during basic( that can be done also !)

Comment

If you would like i can give you a recruiters name in Colorado Springs, CO. thats where i am from.

Comment

Just so I'm perfectly clear on ISTs, is it at all possible that one could be [U]denied[/U] an IST? For instance, if I join the Indiana Guard and later get a civilian job offer in Colorado (which is a possibility for me), is there any chance that I would not be able to take that job because the Indiana Guard denied my transfer request (and there's obviously no way I could go back and forth between CO and IN for drilling)?
                Although, one the one hand I could see how one would argue that such a denial would be unlikely because it's unreasonable, on the other hand I can see how the Guard might issue such denials to keep some folks from moving to another state to avoid an announced deployment.

Comment

I don't know that the outbound state will deny your IST, But i know that the incoming state does have that ability. The other thing that can get messed up when transferring is your bonus, because now its based off of state specific critical MOS's not a national list. How long until you cold possibly transfer to Colorado? You might consider waiting until you get there to sign up if its not a long time. Chances are good that Colorado wouldn't deny you though because they have a small force and are looking for anyone they can get.

Comment

[QUOTE=RickH]Just so I'm perfectly clear on ISTs, is it at all possible that one could be [U]denied[/U] an IST? For instance, if I join the Indiana Guard and later get a civilian job offer in Colorado (which is a possibility for me), is there any chance that I would not be able to take that job because the Indiana Guard denied my transfer request (and there's obviously no way I could go back and forth between CO and IN for drilling)?
                    Although, one the one hand I could see how one would argue that such a denial would be unlikely because it's unreasonable, on the other hand I can see how the Guard might issue such denials to keep some folks from moving to another state to avoid an announced deployment.[/QUOTE]

Here are some legitimate reasons to deny an IST:[LIST=1][*]You're still within 50 miles of an armory of your original state (e.g., you're moving across a state line, but still close to the line).[*]You're under an adverse action flag (e.g., you've done something bad).[*]You owe money or equipment to your original state.[*]Your unit has been alerted for mobilization.[/LIST]

Comment

how long do interstate transfers take?

Comment

[QUOTE=armygirl2007]how long do interstate transfers take?[/QUOTE]

If you do what you're supposed to do in a timely manner, 30 days. The majority of occasions in which this hassle becomes a nightmare is when the Soldier doesn't follow instructions. It's not a hard procedure, but it's not magic -- you will need to put a bit of effort into it. It's your life, and no one will work any harder on it than you.

Contact your current chain of command, inform them of your situation, and ask for the number to your state's IST coordinator. Then inform her of your situation, and then do what she tells you.

Comment

is there a minimum ammount of time you must spend at a unit if you ist?

Comment

I drilled with my unit for two months, then started my AT and had to IST. I called the local recruiter there and they took care of it quickly. I don't think there is a requirement, but you need to have reason(s) to leave.

Comment

I did an IST from Iowa to NJ. Former commander and staff took care of everything and he even gave me a few months to find a unit.

Came here, when through processing with another group on a drill weekend and then the next day, went to the armory and met my new CoC.

FYI, be sure to check out your bonus! My ateup RNCO tried to make Iowa cut the check for my enlistment bonus when your new state should still take care of it. Make sure to check on that.

Also, don't expect any quick promotions...as you're basically on new terms with a new unit and new evaluations. Depends on your CoC, but be aware.

Comment

Working...
                              X