X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfering to the IRR or Inactive National Guard

I am prior service and have been in the Guard for almost two years. Due to conflicting schedules with my civilian job, I am looking to transfer to the IRR or the Inactive National Guard. Can anyone here give me any information on how to request that transfer?
    I would also like to know what, if any, rights and privileges members of the IRR and Inactive Guard have. Thanks for any info you guys can provide. Sorry if this posted twice, but I wasn't sure if the it posted the first time.

Speak with your chain of command. I strongly recommend that you go to the ING, versus the IRR. In the ING, you are still on your unit roster, and if that unit gets mobilized, so do you. In the IRR, however, you are subject to mobilization to fill a hole in any unit -- active, Guard, or Reserve.

In the ING, you aren't working down your obligation, so if you have two years left on your contract, after a year in the ING you'll still have two years left. If you have been awarded a bonus, you may run into some issues there. You can't draw any benefits while in the ING, and you aren't making "good years" for retirement purposes.

Before you make the plunge, speak with your commander about a different unit in which you can fulfill your obligation in a way that doesn't conflict with the job. Often the state HQ has work for you all week long, and can be more flexible on drill dates.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bluethunder90]I am prior service and have been in the Guard for almost two years. Due to conflicting schedules with my civilian job, I am looking to transfer to the IRR or the Inactive National Guard. Can anyone here give me any information on how to request that transfer?
      I would also like to know what, if any, rights and privileges members of the IRR and Inactive Guard have. Thanks for any info you guys can provide. Sorry if this posted twice, but I wasn't sure if the it posted the first time.[/QUOTE]

I would go with what the Maj. said. I ran into some family problems right after I joined the PA Guard. I asked the CO if I could go into the ING for a year and he granted it. I didn't go to drill, or get paid, but I was still a part of the unit. When it was time for me to come back, I went back to the same unit and picked up right were I left off. Trust me its better than going into the IRR. Also have you looked into transfering to another unit that would fit your schedule better??

Comment

ING letter of disinterested parties

Does anyone have a letterhead format? I'm putting a packet together for the ING.

Thanks

Comment

Re: ING letter of disinterested parties

I am an officer in the Guard, and I was pursuing another degree in engineering until my wife and I found out she is pregnant. I found a really good job, but the position I applied for and was given an offer for is Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

I was looking at resigning my commission, but there is no guarantees with that path. I was reading in AR 140-10 and AR 135-175 that there is a hardship/dependancy clause. With the extreme conflict with this new position and continuing my obligation with the guard, what is my best course of action?

I am not trying to get away from any obligations I may owe, but the conflict with a job that provides for my family is what comes first, though the experiences the Guard gave me are great, but I think it's served its time.

The position I was offered is in another state, and the transition and training period for the new job will conflict with training in the state I am currently in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Re: Transfering to the IRR or Inactive National Guard

[QUOTE=PARecruiter11B24;15290]I would go with what the Maj. said....[/QUOTE]

The "Maj." is a Lieutenant Colonel.....the Major rank is gold.

Pay no attention to this post whatsoever....:rolleyes:
            Last edited by Chris36; May 1st, 2012, 10:02 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chris36;156759]The "Maj." is a Lieutenant Colonel.....the Major rank is gold.[/QUOTE]

Attention to detail chris...when that was posted in 2007 the LTC was still a MAJ. :)

Comment

Touche'!

LMAO...but now HOW would I know that??

Drat...just when I thought I was contributing! :mad:
                Last edited by Chris36; May 1st, 2012, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X