Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances of being deployed overseas!?!?

Hi i am interested in joining the guard, to serve and protect my country from terrorists, and to aid people in natural disasters and such. My question is, what are the chances of being deployed overseas (such as the middle east). I know they basically go down the line in deployment ( Army, then reserves, then guard). I want to protect my country, Not go fight for another! im sure most people will understand. If any one has any insight please let me know

Thank you and God Bless America and all our Troops!!!

You would be protecting the U.S. By engaging our enemies in Iraq, it is less likely we would have to face them in our backyard. Our military forces are trained and equiped to handle enemy engagement. The 3000 Americans on 9/11 were not. We do not know when or where they will strike next. A dirty bomb in a football stadium, a suicide bomber in a crowded mall, a nuke in downtown Chicago. We must seek out the terrorist where ever THEY ARE and stop them. We can't wait for them to hit here again.

Comment

And they deploy units not individuals (unless you volunteer) almost every national guard unit has been to Iraq once, and now the next shifts are coming up.

Comment

well what are the chances of getting shipped over there because i have a newborn and going and getting killed on him is not something id look forward to

Comment

This is what really gets to me. We have been at war for years now.
          And suddenly it occurs to someone that they may be deployed?
          Grow-up!! If you enlist, then at any time - even if you enlist during "peace time"- you may be killed in a military operation.
          No normal person wants to go to war. No normal person wants to kill someone else. And no normal person wants to be killed.
          We all have a personal life that we don't want interfered with but things happen and you have to adjust.

Comment

Agreed..

[QUOTE=doubtfuldarhma]This is what really gets to me. We have been at war for years now.
            And suddenly it occurs to someone that they may be deployed?
            Grow-up!! If you enlist, then at any time - even if you enlist during "peace time"- you may be killed in a military operation.
            No normal person wants to go to war. No normal person wants to kill someone else. And no normal person wants to be killed.
            We all have a personal life that we don't want interfered with but things happen and you have to adjust.[/QUOTE]

Agreed-
            if you join any portion of the military, good for you-if you don't want to face deployment or are too weak to accept that you may be deployed, then it's simple, [I][B][U]don't join the military.[/U][/B][/I]

You don't get to pick your fight, your fight doesn't even pick you-the Army commanders in whichever theatre of operations tell you where your unit is going and when, and for a reason.

If you aren't ready to accept that reason, then you were [B]NEVER[/B] ready to accept the military into your life, and shame on you.

Sorry to put it so bluntly.

I absolutely [B]despise[/B] of people who join the military just to "stand tall" and want to reap the educational benefits, and because they think they'd look good in uniform-but yet have such a strong sense of fear for deployment. What doubtfuldarhma said... "GROW UP!"

If you aren't ready to accept the fact that you may (and more than likely will) be deployed in a huge mess surrounded by enemies of the United States, then you aren't ready for the military..

ppk1000-
            You go wherever they tell you to go. There is no choosing. To "fight for another country"? We're fighting for ours as well. If you don't support this nation and it's decisions then you don't support the Army and it's decisions.

Comment

Follow up

Sounds like you are the ideal candidate for the American Red Cross or the Salvation Army, go and check them out, we need people here in the states just like we need them in the military.

Comment

listen

you are getting too nervous. if you get sent over you aren't necessarily going to die. i know lots of people who have been over there 5 times and they don't have a scratch on them. as long as you are smart about it you will be fine. and thats even if you get sent over. i wouldn't be worried about it. we wont be in iraq much longer.
                -beth

Comment

Working...
                X