Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I ever get to go to war?

Well, Iam about to join the National Guard
    And Iam kind of young age 17, 5'5.
    I was hoping not to go to war so soon. I got lot's of things.
    Should I join? and Do you think there are chances I get to go?
    Since bush is still in progress and all.

Yes. You will probably go to war.
    Nobody wants to go to war. That is what makes our service men and women so great. That is what makes them a little more patriotic then the average American. They take it as their personal responsibility to protect the lifestyle that so many Americans take for granted and they will risk their life to do so. If you are not ready to do the same then don't join.

Comment

We who VOLUNTEER for the service are more than likely going to see a war zone some time in our careers. But that's ok by me, that's the job really. We got lucky for a while and avoided major conflicts, but if your thinking of joing the military, and at the same time not go to war, isn't that a bit hipcriticle?

If your worried, click on the link on my sig box, that's got the best advice I could give you.

Comment

Will you ever go to war

[QUOTE=TommyVue]Well, Iam about to join the National Guard
        Since bush is still in progress and all.[/QUOTE]

My advice to you is if you really want to join and serve your country then by all means do it. Something must have inspired you to join up and serve. So follow your dreams and do what makes you happy. I think it is great that you want to join and serve. I'am 34 and I plan on joining and going to basic real soon. Another thing their is a lot of people that will guide you along the way. You will do just fine. I plan on making it through basic training with no trouble at all. I know this because I have trained with guys in pt class and I can run really good and do everything else such as push-ups and situps. A lot of it is mental if you believe in yourself then you will do great. Peace out man

Comment

College first

ask a recruiter about the college first program..thats what im doing..it guaruntees on your contract that after AIT job training you cant be deployed for 24 months (two-years)..Not only that but you get extra money to go to school..all this comes with at least a 50 on the asvap test..

Comment

dude

you want to join the armed forces. after u graduate ait they can send you out whenever they want. its called we are signing up to protect the country. i am also 17 .
            -pv.stippich

Comment

If you have things to do that are "more important," then you should probably not sign up. Personally, I wouldn't want to share a fighting hole with someone who isn't totally committed to the mission. No offense to the recruiters that come here, but don't listen to them when they say you won't get deployed. If it is college that makes you hesitate, then do the College First option. That is a guarenteed 2 yrs that you won't get deployed, as long as you're a full time student. Good luck in your decision.

Comment

I understand your view point about wanting to join but not go to war. I do not want to be sent over to Iraq, but the difference between myself and the civilians is that I'm willing to go, if they call my number (so to speak).

It's okay to NOT want to go, but at the same time you gotta be ready to go if they do send you.

I hope this gives you a bit of encouragement.

Pvt. Tredway

Comment

[QUOTE=TommyVue]Well, Iam about to join the National Guard
                  Since bush is still in progress and all.[/QUOTE]

Why specifically don't you want to go?

If you are scared, don't worry about it. Everyone is scared. Few people (despite the macho posturing you'll sometimes see) really want to go to combat, at least if they think about what it really means. Being scared but otherwise wanting to serve shouldn't stop you.

Is it political? You say something about Bush at the end of your post. If you don't like Bush, or if you don't think we should be in Iraq, you need to remember that the military is supposed to follow the civilian leadership. It doesn't matter if it is Clinton and his peacekeeping missions in Kosovo which many people disagreed with, Afganistan which most people support, or Iraq which has many opponents. If you are in, you go if called. If you can't deal with that, you shouldn't join. This goes to everyone considering the military- even if you are a Republican, love Bush, and agree 100% with Iraq- remember that the next president could be a Democrat.

If after some soul searching you determine that you cannot deal with being sent to Iraq (regardless of your reason) I suggest you do not join the Guard. In the military, including the Guard and Reserves, you may be called upon to go to a combat zone. There are other ways to serve.

If you simply want to minimize your chances to be sent overseas but can deal with some chance of it and you feel you must join the military, try the Coast Guard. They have some very important missions- from law enforcement off the coast to search and rescue. However, Coast Guardsmen can and do get called up for service in combat zones. It may be less likely for any particular individual, but it does happen.

If you want zero chance of being called up, there are several options to serve your country and community. Join your local volunteer fire department as a fireman and you'll have a very important job serving your community. Before you start doing whatever it is you want to do for a living, take a few years and join your local police department (many departments have a cadet position for those under 21) or wait until you are 21 or over and become a cop for a few years. Then after 2 or 3 years, do whatever you have in mind for a living. You can volunteer with hospitals, schools, the scouts (when you are a little older), summer camps, etc. Work with children, the disabled, the elderly. Take an important job working in human services. Get involved in civil defense organizations like the Civil Air Patrol or if your state has one the State Guard (sometimes known by different names like your state's Defense Force), etc. The military isn't the only option for those who want to serve, and joining won't do your or those in your unit any favors if your heart isn't in it.

Comment

There is a chance u might not go I think. Iraq might be over soon depending on who is gonna be in office. Plus depending on your mos u might not see a lot of combat. Join the guard go to school. Know this is the military even though its hard to believe in the guard sometimes. I got back from Benning on November 22nd and graduated an infantrymen. My unit is supposed to go to Afghanistan in 2008 but I don't know if I believe it. dont sweat it if all these guys were so high speed they would have went active

Comment

Working...
                    X