X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit History and Security Clearances

Does the Guard have credit criteria for obtaining a security clearance? This would slightly delay my efforts for reenlisting as a WOC candidate requires a security clearance. I am in the process of paying down my debt to raise my credit score in order to get a better interest rate on a new home. Yet I am approaching te cutoff age of 46 for the WOC. I have 5 years prior USMCR and US Army Reserve time under my belt. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

RK

The Guard has no separate criteria. All DoD clearances go through the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). Thus, if you can't get a clearance for the Guard, you won't get one for the Navy either.

The problem with finances isn't so much that you have a bad credit rating, but that you continue to have a bad credit rating over a long period of time, and show no progress towards getting your act together. I recommend pursuing your goal, because you definitely won't get the clearance if you don't apply. Another way to guarantee you'll get denied is to hide any relevant information -- disclose everything up-front, because they will find out about it.

Comment

Working...
    X