X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meps

can someone please help me I am about to go to meps and I am so scared in all of the videos that I have seen all they ever show is guys what about girls what is their physical like?? I heard that guys have to strip down but what about girls?? I hope not cuz I am very shy and am scared to go

Someone write back with INFO please.

No worries...

Don't worry about it. Personally, I don't know what the physical is like for females. But for the mindset, just go in thinking this will take only a few minutes and I'll be out. Don't worry about it, don't lose sleep over it. Once the day is over and you've completed MEPS, you'll be glad it's done and over.

Comment

From what I remember, they give the females at funny looking pajama top like you wear at the doctor.

Comment

You will have to wear your underwear in front of the doctor, but not in front of other applicants at MEPS. They keep the males and females separate during the physical.

Comment

meps

Oh, MEPS.....What a long day that was. They do put you in a paper gown. It's not scary at all but be sure to bring a book. It can get really boring and fast.

Comment

[QUOTE=JennerGuardGirl06]can someone please help me I am about to go to meps and I am so scared in all of the videos that I have seen all they ever show is guys what about girls what is their physical like?? I heard that guys have to strip down but what about girls?? I hope not cuz I am very shy and am scared to go

Someone write back with INFO please.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what part specifically you are talking about, but I'll try to hit on all the OMG parts that people freak out about. These are all based on my 2 trips to the MEPS in St. Paul, MN in the last month.

1) yes, you do have to pee in a cup. Yes, there will probably be another woman in the stall next to you. The first time, I don't think the woman MEPS worker actually watched us pee, I can't even remember if she made us close the stall door. And, I don't think they really stare and "watch" you, they just kind of glance to make sure it's really YOU peeing in the cup, not just you taking out a flask of someone else's pee and pouring it in the cup. *** Don't even THINK about washing your hands; the two most important things in life at that moment are your cup of pee and your medical file. DON'T SET EITHER ONE DOWN or they will unleash the canines on you (well, okay, the workers yell at you).

2) The physical. Only lasts a couple minutes. I went to the MD's room, took off every stitch of clothing, and got to wrap myself in a big sheet of paper they call a gown. Then you lie down. There's a female nurse by your side at all times. The MD does a very basic 10 second glance over your body, then does a breast exam (which all of us should be doing every month on our own, BTW). Then, you scooch down like you are going to have a PAP- you know, feet in stirrups, knees up in the air. All the MD did was LOOK down there. As in, 3 second glance. No touching, no probing, no cold icky instruments. Just "yes, she has a crotch". Then, you lie on your side, and I think they really quickly spread your butt cheeks to see if you have hemorrhoids or spinal problems. THAT'S IT.

3) Ortho/neuro room- the underwear olympics. Yes, you strip down to your bra and panties. No socks, no necklaces, nothing else. And then you sit on a bench with a bunch of other women- maybe 7 total- and you freeze your butts off because the room is so chilly. Everyone spends most of this time intensly studying their own toenails or the tile patterns on the floor. The nurse then takes each woman over to the scale, weighs her, checks her height, and asks age. Takes a while, because they have to document EVERY single non-standard body abnormality... taking out a tape measure, measuring scars, counting holes in earlobes, noting other body piercings, etc. The tattoos are the worst. They have to measure each tattoo and document what colors, shapes, and designs are in each one.

Then, the fun part... yes, you get to wiggle, waddle, walk and stretch in unison with everyone else.

Seriously, for ME, personally, it was not bad at all. I was much more worried about passing my hearing test and not being able to do the duck walk then being exposed. But maybe that's because I'm older, have lots of experience in theatre, have had 3 kids, breastfed them, have had Pap smears for 15+ years, had nurses in hospitals look at every INCH of my body, etc.

My advice on that shyness- the one thing for me was making sure I wore normal looking undies at meps. Make SURE you actually wear underwear. From my MEPS visit last week, I remember 2 women specifically- one wore a hot pink thong, and had to then be given some disposable paper boxers that she had to roll up and wear like regular undies. The second one, I only remember because she was so darn shy and self conscious and kept trying to cover herself up with her folder... walk to the scale, hold folder over butt... walk back, hold folder over crotch, NO WAIT, over chest, NO WAIT, can we do both??? :eek: Just keep thinking to yourself "this too shall pass, this too shall pass..." and it will be over before you know it!

Comment

Meps a fun time ;)

Meps is like anything else in the military that inducts a lot of people at one time. Hurry and wait is a favorite quote. the otheres have it the nail right on the head boring real fast. just dont be shy and talk to the others there that are in the same boat as you and the day will go by much faster. any questions or concerns i would be more han happy to help.

Comment

Minneapolis

I actually live in Wisconsin, but will be going to MEPS in Minneapolis also. The one here in Wisconsin is in Milwaukee and i'm aprox a three hour drive from both. Anything else you can tell me specifically about the one in Minneapolis? Recruiter first said we would go overnight, but then mentioned we might just leave at the butt crack of dawn and drive over that morning and also come home that day. I'll be taking ASVAB as well as all the other fun components. I dont have fear of doing anything infront of anyone else. I'm not too shy either.

Comment

[QUOTE=WIBecky74]I actually live in Wisconsin, but will be going to MEPS in Minneapolis also. The one here in Wisconsin is in Milwaukee and i'm aprox a three hour drive from both. Anything else you can tell me specifically about the one in Minneapolis? Recruiter first said we would go overnight, but then mentioned we might just leave at the butt crack of dawn and drive over that morning and also come home that day. I'll be taking ASVAB as well as all the other fun components. I dont have fear of doing anything infront of anyone else. I'm not too shy either.[/QUOTE]

Same MEPS that I went to. It's called the "Minneapolis MEPS" but it's actually in Ft. Snelling... since I lived in St. Paul, I refer to anything in the Cities as being in St. Paul. Um, food at the hotel... no lie... I think I would rather eat Meow Mix than that food again. I cannot tell you how horrible it was. I couldn't even eat the salad, the salad dressing was so awful. And I am really not a picky eater and can choke down darn near anything. The safest and most palatable thing was the yogurt in the little fridge. The second trip, I prepared for that... and had a bunch of granola bars and peanut butter bars in my back pack.

The staff was very nice; one or two were wienies, but everyone else was pleasant and courteous and called me "ma'am" a lot. The workers in the ortho room were FABULOUS and wanted everyone to succeed. You're in good hands with Kelly, Amy, and "Anderson".

I'll shoot ya a private email more in depth a little later... the munchkins here are clammering to go fishing so we gotta get going. Any more ??? feel free to shoot me an email.

Best of luck~
                  Jan

Comment

Becky... here's a [B][URL="http://www.mepcom.army.mil/meps/minn/"]LINK[/URL][/B] for you... and another [B][URL="http://www.mepcom.army.mil/dayatmeps/default.asp"]LINK[/URL][/B] as well.

Jan... you really oughta keep a diary... and then write a book of your experiences... it'd be great!

Comment

Thank you

Cool. Thanks! I had looked at those about a month ago but was nice to again. It just seems that every location is a little bit different. I'm so anal and naturally have a high level of anxiety that I was looking for specifics and up-to-date info from the exact place I was going.
                      (Or I mean...no Ma'am/Sir....I have no anxieties hehee) KIDDING! :)

Comment

Working...
                      X