X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranger school, Airborn and SF

What does the NG offer for these? I heard that you couldn't do the Ranger or Airborn training unless you were active duty? Also does the guard even have a special forces unit?

Im going to be going active duty after i finish college but im doing the guard for now(11b). Are these even options or wil i haev to wait till i go active?

These are very good questions, and part of the answer lies in the understanding of each of these as part of the overall Army and its individual components. As an 11B you have the best shot at attending Airborne school, Ranger school, and as Infantry is a "feeder" MOS for Career Management Field (CMF) 18 you have the basic building blocks in place to try to pursue Selection toward Special Forces qualification. You do not have to be on active duty for any of these courses, however have to be on active duty to be in the 75th Infantry.

There are 2 Special Forces Groups in the Army National Guard, as well some Airborne units that are on active jump status. For the most part these are Long Range Surveillance Units (LRS) and are comprised of special Infantry R&S teams.

Airborne is the first course you should pursue, and many ARNG units are supporting this training in addition to actual slot qualification. Although a stepping stone toward becoming a Ranger, it is recommended, but not 100% necessary in regards to Ranger qualification via Ranger School. Airborne school trains you to be a Parachutist - and after successful completion of the course you recieve the skill identifier of "P" and the Silver Wings that denote a Parachutist. 11B1O now becomes 11B1P.

As only the Active component of the Army has the 75th Infantry Regiment (Ranger) where you must be a "Three Time Volunteer" for the Infantry, Airborne and Ranger's. For new Enlisted soldiers successfully completing the Ranger Indoctrination Program (RIP) will lead you to a minimum 2-year tour with the Ranger Regiment, where at one point to maintain your Ranger Status you will have to attend and successfully complete Ranger School. These slots are for Airborne and Ranger Qualified soldiers and the MOS is for a "V" (which is for Airborne Ranger) 11B1P then becomes 11B1V.

In the case of Ranger school it is not necessary to be Airborne qualified prior to attending - but highly recommended. There are jumps during the course where the "Legs" simply do details and assist with logistical concerns. As well you cannot earn a "V" identifier... only a "G" which is for a "Leg" (Non-Airborne) Ranger: 11B1O (Basic Infantryman) becomes 11B1G.

Now to Special Forces... You must be Airborne qualified to be considered for the preparatory SF training, the 18 series does not have a "P" identifier as Airborne is inherant to the job. To become Special Forces qualified has changed in some respects over the years - however one thing remains the same - you must prove yourself at the Special Forces Assesment and Selection course and be "Selected" to go forward to the Special Forces Qualification Course. If you are selected and move to the SFQC, there is no guarantee you will make it. The process of becoming an SF soldier comes with many rigors (mental and physical) and at any time it is possible to wash-out. Those that have the ability, motivation and long-term dedication make it and go on to wear the highly coveted Green Beret of the most Elite of units in the United States military.

If you plan on going the Active Duty Officer router after college, be advised, the path toward Airborne School and Ranger school remain similar - however to become a 75 INF RGR Officer has many requirements, and is a higly competitive process that no newly commissioned officer can do. The route to SF is similar and takes a lot of time and effort to apply for - SFAS is still the same, but you cannot apply until you are a minimum Captain. In the ARNG you can be a newly commisioned officer to apply for SFAS. In all respects you will find that the ARNG offers more flexibility in gaining qualification in many areas in regards to the Active Duty conterparts, the training is the same. One thing you must consider is if the goal you have matches the units in your state, as well if the slots can be pursued.

If you are already an 11B, talk to your unit about applying for Airborne and Ranger school - preparing an application is not hard to do, selling it and your skills (which should be at a high level) will be the hard part - but rewarding if you do it well. To be SF in the ARNG you must be assigned to an SF unit - this is inclusive of getting SFAS.
    Last edited by LRSU_Dog; June 6th, 2006, 05:30 AM.

Comment

^^ thanks for the great reply! Now assuming i got into the Airborne and Ranger courses, would that carry over to when i switched to active duty(and by going active i mean going into the Army, not a full time job in the NG)?

Also i don't know if i would want to become an officer right away. I always figured it would be easier to do the Airborne and Ranger deal before becoming an officer. Also i am really going to try to get into the SF program, probably as an enlisted. Then after all that continue my career and go for OCS. Or is it better to go into SF as an officer?

Comment

Airborne Medic?

I am looking into becoming a medic at this time (68W) and I was wondering what the odds of me getting an airborne slot might be, since medics do have to go around with the infantry alot.

Also, I heard a rumor somewhere that in basic training the top scorers on the fitness test or the top performers get to have a shot at airborne school. Is this true for the National Guard, Active Duty, or just a rumor?

Thanks for any help.

-Achilles

Comment

As all Army training is to the same standard every qualification carries across all the components of the Army. The Airborne Wings, the Ranger Tab mean the same no matter active duty or ARNG. As far as the Enlisted versus Officer option in regards to your career and possibility of SF, that is a question only you can answer... you must decide what you want to do, and fit those goals in line with training you want to pursue. Keep this in mind, if you make it through the SF Qualification Program as an Enlisted Soldier - then become an Officer, you will have to go back through the SFQC for Officers as the job and training will be focused on being an SF Officer as opposed to an SF Medic or Commo Sergeant.

As far as rumors, no it is not a rumor... As I understand Recruits who become Stellar, Highly-Motivated, and Able Soldiers have a shot at Airborne school after BCT and AIT. The caveat is that you must be stationed at Ft. Benning, GA. Things to keep in mind are a high APFT test and top scores in your testable training. Check with your professional recruiter, and your gaining unit administrator to get info on the options and possibilities that can be afforded to you if you have the "drive" to do it.
          Last edited by SF Hunter; October 8th, 2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X