X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper MOS

I am a prior service MARINE and would I am interested in joining the guard ( or reserves).
    The MOS that I am interested in is "sniper". How do I get that?
    Thanks

There is no MOS sniper

Comment

[QUOTE=andrew.tischner]There is no MOS sniper[/QUOTE]

The sniper specialty is not an MOS in the national guard?

Comment

No, not in the National Guard. Being a sniper is considered an additional skill and is mainly offered to specialized units with a need for the specialty. Usually, units who have the requirement and school slots for snipers are highly selective of who they send to the school since it's an intense course with a high attrition rate. You may want to consider enlisting into a light infantry unit (preferrably one with scouts), an LRDS company or detachment or a Special Forces unit to have a fair chance at making it to the course. If you already have a sniper course or skills acquired while in the Marines you may even have a better shot at it.

Comment

That isn't just for the Army National Guard, that is for all components of the Army.

Comment

[QUOTE=AbnMtn]No, not in the National Guard. Being a sniper is considered an additional skill and is mainly offered to specialized units with a need for the specialty. Usually, units who have the requirement and school slots for snipers are highly selective of who they send to the school since it's an intense course with a high attrition rate. You may want to consider enlisting into a light infantry unit (preferrably one with scouts), an LRDS company or detachment or a Special Forces unit to have a fair chance at making it to the course. If you already have a sniper course or skills acquired while in the Marines you may even have a better shot at it.[/QUOTE]

OK thanks for the very informative posting.
            As far as a Special Forces unit I understand that a unit of the 20th SFG is only about three to four hours from me.
            How exactly do you sign up for that?

Comment

What was your MOS? I was just wondering. I contacted the local recruiter and she's going to take me over to the 19th SF unit to talk to them. Thats the best way to get the info straight from the source.

Comment

Talk to a recruiter from whatever state you are looking in to. Maryland, Alabama, Florida or Mass. I believe those were the 4 states that the 20 SFG was located in.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gooch0352]What was your MOS? I was just wondering. I contacted the local recruiter and she's going to take me over to the 19th SF unit to talk to them. Thats the best way to get the info straight from the source.[/QUOTE]

My MOS was 0311 and then 0351

Comment

[QUOTE=groundup]Talk to a recruiter from whatever state you are looking in to. Maryland, Alabama, Florida or Mass. I believe those were the 4 states that the 20 SFG was located in.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I'm doing that now.

Comment

Hey harddog. Being a Sniper in the Guard is just like it is in the Marines, a 'B' MOS. It's offically 11 B4. In the Guard (and Army) only infantry (11B), spec for (18x), and cavalry scouts (19D) can attend the school in Camp Robinson, AK. Its highly competative. Some of th instructors have attended both services schools. Good Luck.

Semper fi.

Comment

Question for Spc Dickerson from Jersey. I am from Jersey. I am 27 years old and would love to pursue Special Forces. Is this realistic? Leave for basic on August 8th.

Comment

When you get back from your training, you can contact a recruiter in Mass or Maryland. They have a weekend where you can pretty much try-out. You go there under orders from your commander and you go through ****. If you make it, they may ask you to come to the unit. Just so you know, if this is really something you are interested in, the closest unit from me is about 5 hours away if you are haulin'. Your weekend drill will start Friday and end late Sunday. You may have 2 drills a month. You may have 2 AT's a year. NG SF units train a lot more than your ordinary NG units.
                          Last edited by SSG Beckering; January 21st, 2011, 09:45 AM. Reason: Profane language

Comment

In addition to looking at the 20th SFG in Maryland and Mass, you can also look into the 19th SFG in Rhode Island , West Virginia and Ohio.

For those of you interested, in addition to the ones mentioned above, there are also 20th SFG units in Mississippi, Illinois and North Carolina; and 19th SFG units in Colorado, Utah, Washington and California.

Comment

Working...
                            X