X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health question

I'm interested in joining the National Guard however i have asthma, ADD, and chronic migraines. I have been told by some people that i can still join but i have also been told by others that I can't... so my question is this, is it possible for me to still join? Don't get me wrong... I know it would be tough but I like challenges. :) I just need to know if its possible for me to take this one.

Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory. -George Patton
    Last edited by Strykers; May 3rd, 2006, 08:56 AM.

Don't get me mistaken but I don't think you should join. Because if youh ave all those problems you could be hurt or something thing you would get dis-charge. If you take med. you have to wait 1-2 yrs to join after your Doc. takes you off them. Just ask your base recruiter if you can join or not.

Comment

don't underestimate me.

thankyou for your oppinion however... even with all these problems I have I still want to join, i know it will be hard but i'm, as some people say it, "a tough cookie". I may not be as physically fit as others but i still try my best. i give it my all. examples... MIGRAINES: when i get a migraine i've been know to keep going for hours... even though my head is pounding and i'm vomitting ATHLETIC ASTHMA: I've been know to out run some of my friends that don't have asthma and keep going longer than they can. ADD: this ones real fun. if you've never had it, i envy you. this is something I struggle with daily. i don't like paying attetion, its hard for me... but when push comes to shove I manage to hear what i need to...the assigment, what work needs to be done, how to do specfic tasks, ect. *I don't take any meds for my ADD. I relize it would be harder for me but frankly i don't care. so long as I don't somehow manage to die during basic training (highly unlikely unless i get shot) I'll be just fine. All I need to know is... can I join?

Comment

Great motivation, but here is the long and short... You need to gather together all of your medical documentation and prepare to make a copy. What you will do after that is get in touch with a local recruiter. The recruiter can talk with you about disqualifiers and waivers as available. You may not like what you hear, but the recruiter will be honest.

Now as to making copies of the medical records, your recruiter may want to have copies of pertinant medical records that outline your medical history, your medical problems and thier treatment. It may be possible for you to be submitted for a Medical Pre-Screen with the doctors at MEPS.

No one on this forum can give you a definative answer to your questions about joining with the medical problems you say you have... You need to get in front of a professional recruiter and go from there. Best of luck!

Comment

thnx.

Thank you! :)

Comment

Im not saying that you can't join Im saying it would probably not be a good idea. I use to be ADHD now im just ADD I don't do any of my school work i know its hard to keep track. If you join ill have faith in you.

Chris

Comment

thankyou.

thankyou. i know it will be hard. you know it will be hard too because you know what ADD is like. i know though that if i set my mind to it i can do this. I know what the possiblities are. I know i could get hurt, die, or even worse watch my friends die. I am not afraid (well except for maybe getting yelled at lol). I want to serve my country. To defend the freedom that so many of us take for granted every day. I know I could do it if only given the chance.

Comment

Yah im not afraid to watch my friend head get blow'n off but when I get yelled at im Terrified.. I like that saying! Thats why im so afraid to take the asvab test because I might not be able to pass it since I don't stay focus. But if it construction or something I can say focus I don't know why but I also don't Comprehend that well so its going to be a task for me to accomplish.

Comment

not what i meant

ok thats not what i ment perhaps i should watch my grammer more closely. yes id be scared to death to see my friends die! I wouldn't be afraid to die myself or get wounded though. I'm sorry if i flipping offended you! I do know what its like to have someone you love in the army over seas fighting. not knowing weather theayre gonna be there tomarrow! watching the news wondering if that one soldier killed was them or not. Heck yes i'd be scared to see my friends die! You have no idea! but as for myself...i'm NOT afraid! and if you want to judge me for that go right ahead!

Comment

lol it takes a lot to offend me sorry if I offended you at all. I don't Judge people that middle schoolish

Chris

Comment

really?

well obviously if you think im middle schoolish then you just did judge me.

Comment

Did I ever say you were middle schoolish?

Comment

too calm the tension down Chris was simply stating that judging people is something that middleschool children do. He wasnt saying that you were middle schoolish.

Comment

ok

Then i apologize... i missunderstood what he was trying to say. I'm very sorry Chris. I tend to be on the defensive side quite a bit because people are always telling me I can't do certan things or I don't act right... I'm sure you know how that feels. It tends to be harder for ADD/ADHD people so a lot of people assume that they can't do certain things or can't do them as well. You know? I have come to believe that ADD/ADHD people are just as capeable if not more so of doing things that others can do. I think they are able to achieve great thing... if they put their minds to it. I believe so strongly in this that when I hear someone telling a person with ADD or ADHD that they are not capeable of doing certain things I get really mad and go on the defense. If someone were to tell you that you couldn't I'd be mad about that too because I know you are just as capeable as everyone else... If you work for it. Just because we have to work harder for it does NOT mean that we can't do it. Once again I'm sorry if I came off a little to strong-this is a very touchy subject for me.

Comment

First of all im very aggressive my self in some ways. I tend to put people down that’s why I don't get along with people in life. I don't like seeing the same person everyday that’s why I don't talk a lot. I have ADD and I know it’s hard to miss understand stuff and not comprehend stuff that’s why you get confused. Don’t be sorry it’s all right no biggy. You can do anything if you set your mind to it. It’s going to be hard since you have a disability but you can achieve your goals.

Chris,

Comment

Working...
                              X