X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to get back in

After serving in the Guard for 20+ years I was not retained (unknown reasons) under NGR 600-102. Since then I have been serving in the USAR (8 years) I am currently on a 1 year tour in Iraq and would like to know of I can re-join the National Guard. Are waivers required for this to happen, If so who are the requests forwarded to? And by what authoriity can the Guard take me back? I have no ghosts in my closet, all 1 block OERS and meet Height and weight. If you know of a I can re-join the guard, I would appreciate your advise.

Thanks

If you are still in good health, have a current physical and your current commander is willing you let you go, you can get a conditional release to come back into the guard as soon as you get back from deployment. You'll need to talk to a National Guard recruiter in your state when you get back, and have him send a DD Form 368 (request for conditional release) to you commander. Too easy.

Comment

VT Recruiter

Thanks for your response, I've asked this question to recruiters in my home state and I get "The Look". Being a fallen soldier of the "20 year board" (Selective Retention Board), I can get no one to say "Yes, based on yada, yada , yada, you can re-join the National Guard. I get the reply, because you have been seperated by the
      "Selective retention board" you can no longer become a member of the Guard. What I would like to know is if this is written somewhere because I cannot find it. I would like to get back into the Guard and would like to know what procedures I have to follow. And when I am told "this can't be done because of the previous determination of the "Selective retention Board" I would like to respond with something concrete as to why it CAN be done.

Thanks

Comment

[QUOTE=retread]Thanks for your response, I've asked this question to recruiters in my home state and I get "The Look". Being a fallen soldier of the "20 year board" (Selective Retention Board), I can get no one to say "Yes, based on yada, yada , yada, you can re-join the National Guard. I get the reply, because you have been seperated by the
        "Selective retention board" you can no longer become a member of the Guard. What I would like to know is if this is written somewhere because I cannot find it. I would like to get back into the Guard and would like to know what procedures I have to follow. And when I am told "this can't be done because of the previous determination of the "Selective retention Board" I would like to respond with something concrete as to why it CAN be done.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but any of the recruiters you talked to can show you the Enlistment Criteria Manual (ECM), Table 2-1, Line 38. I clearly states that "OTH, Bad Conduct, or Dishonorable Character or Service, [B]or those who were discharged as a result of a Qualitative Management Program (i.e QRB, SRB, MRD)[/B]" are ineligible for enlistment and there's no waiver authorized.

Comment

Working...
        X