X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetes

[COLOR="Plum"]Hey ya'll. I had planned to join the army when i was 17. I was sadly dissapointed to hear people with Diabetes could not work in any part of the military.

Today while i was at work i was talking to this guy about how confused i was with what i wanted to do now. And it turns out he has Diabetes, had the same plan, and it didnt work out. Then he said the National Guard let him in. Him and his friend with Diabetes...He gave me the name of his officer and said he'd call him for me.This sounded too good to be true. I asked him for his military id and he said he didnt have one yet because he hadnt figured out how long he wanted to commit till. I'm so confused. I dont know why he'd lie about it. He said the name of his officer. But he also has an insulin pump and i wondered why they would let him wear that...ahh... or did someone let him in illegally?

Anyways, do any of you have Diabetes that are in there? Or is it not allowed? Do you have to have some certain A1C requirements to get in, if u can? Can u fill out a medical waiver for Diabetes? Thanks much! [/COLOR]

putting all else aside

In order to be in the National Guard, you need a contract. In order to have a contract, you need to know how long you are in for. The guy isnt in. As for your other questions, I would contact a recruiter, but from my research, diabeties controlled by medicine (pills or shots) is a disqualifier. Controlled by diet and excersise, that would likely be fine.

Comment

[QUOTE=portgchic74][COLOR="Plum"]Hey ya'll. I had planned to join the army when i was 17. I was sadly dissapointed to hear people with Diabetes could not work in any part of the military.

Today while i was at work i was talking to this guy about how confused i was with what i wanted to do now. And it turns out he has Diabetes, had the same plan, and it didnt work out. Then he said the National Guard let him in. Him and his friend with Diabetes...He gave me the name of his officer and said he'd call him for me.This sounded too good to be true. I asked him for his military id and he said he didnt have one yet because he hadnt figured out how long he wanted to commit till. I'm so confused. I dont know why he'd lie about it. He said the name of his officer. But he also has an insulin pump and i wondered why they would let him wear that...ahh... or did someone let him in illegally?

Anyways, do any of you have Diabetes that are in there? Or is it not allowed? Do you have to have some certain A1C requirements to get in, if u can? Can u fill out a medical waiver for Diabetes? Thanks much! [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

This can really be a tough situation, major medical problems like this are usually a red flag for people trying to entry the military, check with a recrutier to be sure. If the recruiter tells you no then its a pretty solid answer. That said some types of diabetes are treatable, Im not sure what type you have, so I cant really tell you. But defintely talk it over with yoru family physcian and see your options then talk it over with your local recruiter, and let him no the measure you took with your physcian.

Comment

Working...
      X