X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminal Record

I have a5 felony counts of theft reduced to misdemeanors, i count shoplifting and i count of domestic violence. I went through a very difficult time and made poor decisions after losing a business and everything i owned. I was told by a recruiter that I would not qualify because of the domestic volence charge. Then I was told becuase I was prior service that no background check was required. I just could not disclose. I worked hard to put my life back together and do not wish to lie. Can I get a waiver?

Sorry any Domestic violence charges means you are not qualified for any military branch

Comment

Need Recruiter Help with NGB22

Hi,I'm seeking help from recruiters,preferably from Florida.
      Here is what's on my [B][U]NGB22:RE-3,Character of Service:Under Honorable,Authority and Reason:Para 8-26q (3),NGR 600-200 Transaction Code:ADW.[/U][/B]
      Please help and advice ASAP.
      Thanks,
      Crane
      Last edited by Crane; November 7th, 2006, 03:47 PM.

Comment

SPC Tischner is right. There is a constituional amendment (the Laudenburg amendment) that prevents felons convicted of domestic violence from carrying or poessing firearms. This certainly prevents you from serving as a solider. Prior service or not, they will certainly do a background check, and even if you choose to not disclose this information to a recruiter, they will find out eventually, and you will be dishonorably discharged.

Comment

I understand

They are really seperate issues. 1st the felony charges were reduced to misdemeanors and they were for theft. The other charge was simple assault and I was required to go to Dom Viol. classes because I had a relationship with this person at one time. All of these charges are 8 or 9 years old. I am not sure that I understand? I am being told not to give the info. so that I may get in and that is what I am trying to avoid?

Comment

What about a d.u.i?

Comment

JIMMAC-
              Bottom line is: have you recruiter do a police background check before going any further. If a domestic violence conviction shows up, you can not join.

Comment

Honor

[QUOTE=JimMac]They are really seperate issues. 1st the felony charges were reduced to misdemeanors and they were for theft. The other charge was simple assault and I was required to go to Dom Viol. classes because I had a relationship with this person at one time. All of these charges are 8 or 9 years old. I am not sure that I understand? I am being told not to give the info. so that I may get in and that is what I am trying to avoid?[/QUOTE]

The issue is HONOR. Do you have it? Do you want to keep it?

I would rather be a civilian with honor than a soldier without.

The Dom. Violence, was it convicted as that, or was it under another charge? You might have an assault charge (Not necessarily dom vio.) on record. Check it out. I am NOT a lawyer and do not play on on TV. DO NOT trust me, or anybody else on this board. This is a serious matter, and for all you know I am the ghost of Ted Bundy!

[COLOR="Red"]HONOR! HONOR! HONOR! HONOR! HONOR! HONOR![/COLOR]

Soap Box Secured.

-Mac ([U]NOT [/U]the ghost of Ted Bundy)

Comment

Dui

richpolk-

DUI is a misdemeanor offense. You're allowed to have up to two of them. If you have three you are not eligible to join.

Comment

The Lautenberg Amendment

I would strongly urge all those applicants with minor domestic violence issues to lobby their congressional Representatives and Senators. The Lautenberg Amendment should be changed to allow an exemption for military service.
                    Only congress can change the Lautenberg Amendment.

As of now:
                    " The Lautenberg Amendment makes it a felony for anyone convicted of a misdemeanor crime of “domestic violence” (e.g., assault or attempted assault on a family member) to ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms or ammunition. There is no exception for military personnel engaged in official duties. "
                    Last edited by SFC_Wilson; March 22nd, 2011, 09:41 PM. Reason: Dead Link

Comment

Question Regarding felony y/o status

When I was fifteen ( I am now 22) I was charged with an assault in the 2nd degree a B felony. I violated my probation and served a one year county jail sentence. I have not been in trouble in three years and I am looking to pursue a career in the military. I understand that even though my felony was a youth offender status and it is sealed that I still cannot join, however I was curious if there was any way to try and obtain a waiver from a judge to reduce my sentence to join. I will be in contact the the congressman, as well as my lawyer to pursue this, however I was curious if anyone in the service has heard or seen this done before? Any information would be great, I was young when this happened, I was jumped by a gang of bloods and stabbed one of the in self defense. Being fifteen and coming from a rather poor family I couldn't afford for my attorny to see the case all the way through trial and did not want to risk having a public defender, If I lost I would have been facing a 3-9 year sentence, there was a cop on the corner when this assault happened, on high school grounds, in New York. I had a great case for self defense however my mother pushed me into taking the 3 month juvy/ 5 year felony probation deal as she could'nt afford the lawyer to do anymore work than he had already done. I am very eager to join and pursue a career as well as serve my country. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

albany, ny

Comment

[QUOTE=joker54504]When I was fifteen ( I am now 22) I was charged with an assault in the 2nd degree a B felony. I violated my probation and served a one year county jail sentence. I have not been in trouble in three years and I am looking to pursue a career in the military. I understand that even though my felony was a youth offender status and it is sealed that I still cannot join, however I was curious if there was any way to try and obtain a waiver from a judge to reduce my sentence to join. I will be in contact the the congressman, as well as my lawyer to pursue this, however I was curious if anyone in the service has heard or seen this done before? Any information would be great, I was young when this happened, I was jumped by a gang of bloods and stabbed one of the in self defense. Being fifteen and coming from a rather poor family I couldn't afford for my attorny to see the case all the way through trial and did not want to risk having a public defender, If I lost I would have been facing a 3-9 year sentence, there was a cop on the corner when this assault happened, on high school grounds, in New York. I had a great case for self defense however my mother pushed me into taking the 3 month juvy/ 5 year felony probation deal as she could'nt afford the lawyer to do anymore work than he had already done. I am very eager to join and pursue a career as well as serve my country. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

albany, ny[/QUOTE]

Get with a recruiter, and check the charge against AR 601-1, and 600-200 to see what the Army classification of your charge is. Sometime, you can do what you plan, and sometimes you do it and it really does not make a difference.

Comment

what about an eight yr old felony burglary? Im in Cheyenne, WY and the recruiter here said I was unable to join due to "any felony".

Comment

hello

i have only dwi's and have been given the run around. i have done everything asked and have done more to make recruiting me easier for recruiter. all they have had to do is send the wavier. now they tell me i need 15 credits because i have ged and need a waiver, i scored a 52 on asvab

Comment

I currently work in a juvenile rehabilition facility and am curious about which felonies are acceptable and which are not. I've always been under the impression that the military will recruit ex-cons and often does.

Has the military recently adopted stricter recruitment standards?

Comment

Working...
                              X