Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=FL-G8R]We need to stay on subject here and keep this going so others will understand that the age limit needs to be raised. First of all the age limit is set by Congress at 44 (43 and 364 days) and it is up to each individual branch to decide what they want to set it at, the Army is currently at 42. It can however be raised to the limit if they need to.

I found this out as I have just gone through the whole process only to be denied. Took the ASVAB and aced it, took the physical, but my results didn't come back until 8:30 pm the night before my 42nd birthday. My recruiter said he would put in for a waiver if his Commander would sign-off on it and he did. Three weeks later the results came back and I was told there were errors and I needed more testing. At that the Commander decided he didn't want to pursue it any further and so my answer was no.

I've passed everything, and I know I can do everything they would ask of me. Yet here I am not able in their minds to do it because I am a month passed my 42nd birthday. I'm no less capable then I was 2 or 3 years ago much less 2 or 3 months ago. I have no intention of trying to retire from the military, I just want to serve my country. It isn't my fault that it took over 3 weeks for MEPS to get my physical results into the system. But I am penalized for it.

Age can be just a number, see Dara Torres in Olympic swimming, If you can pass the over 40 physical as I did and am in good shape as I am why should we be denied the privilege of serving? Anyways, I couldn't be more proud of you guys who are already serving and I will continue to pray for you every day.
    Doug[/QUOTE]

You made some excellent points. I would make an appointment with the recruiter and schedule a APFT if you can run a 270 or higher at the 17-21 age bracket then how could they deny you? Dara Torres is a world class athlete she is not the average 40 something. I'm sure if you score that high they may entertain a second try. Sometimes you have to go above and beyond. As far as priviledge you are correct why deny your priviledge? Like anything there are standards and requirements. Why did you wait so long to pursue your dream? Most of us started out at 18 some alot older. Have you looked into state defense? It is a volunteer no pay affiliation to the guard. Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

• I understand the frustation and need to vent but as with previous posts; you are not the first. The common response is that even though its highly commendable that you want to serve your country; the day that you enrolled in selective service to at least 41 years of age has been more than enough time to decide to serve your country. As in my earlier posts, the government has done so much to allow middle-age citizens to initiate a career in military service. Yes, there are some excellent physically fit forty somethings such as myself but that cant be the sole criteria to lift the age limits. I cant no longer serve in federal law enforcement and I accept that. I had my opportunity when I was 34. Fortunately I got back on active duty before my cut-off will have taken affect. I cant entertain to agree based on my experience.

Comment

• [QUOTE=7011USMC]You made some excellent points. I would make an appointment with the recruiter and schedule a APFT if you can run a 270 or higher at the 17-21 age bracket then how could they deny you? Dara Torres is a world class athlete she is not the average 40 something. I'm sure if you score that high they may entertain a second try. Sometimes you have to go above and beyond. As far as priviledge you are correct why deny your priviledge? Like anything there are standards and requirements. Why did you wait so long to pursue your dream? Most of us started out at 18 some alot older. Have you looked into state defense? It is a volunteer no pay affiliation to the guard. Good luck and keep us posted.[/QUOTE]
        Before they raised the age limit to 42 I was too old to serve then as well. I wanted to serve before then but I had a pretty good career and selfishly put that first. After 9/11 I really wanted to join but I was 35 and thought I was too old. Until my nephew who has been in the Army for 19 years called me this past Christmas and told me, I was unaware that the age limit had been raised.
        I'm not comparing myself nor any other 40+ to Dara, I just was pointing out that it can be done with determination. I am determined, I have sent a letter to my Congressman and am awaiting his reply.

Comment

• [QUOTE=WO1 Quinones]I understand the frustation and need to vent but as with previous posts; you are not the first. The common response is that even though its highly commendable that you want to serve your country; the day that you enrolled in selective service to at least 41 years of age has been more than enough time to decide to serve your country. As in my earlier posts, the government has done so much to allow middle-age citizens to initiate a career in military service. Yes, there are some excellent physically fit forty somethings such as myself but that cant be the sole criteria to lift the age limits. I cant no longer serve in federal law enforcement and I accept that. I had my opportunity when I was 34. Fortunately I got back on active duty before my cut-off will have taken affect. I cant entertain to agree based on my experience.[/QUOTE]
          I am sorry if I came across as venting, that would be disrespectful and I apologize, that isn't my intention. I am merely looking for some advice. I still have a desire to enlist into the Army and hope in the process to maybe change some minds as to the age limits.

Comment

• Just because you are overage, doesn't mean you can not "serve". I suggest you contact your states defense force.

Comment

• [QUOTE=SPC Ski]Just because you are overage, doesn't mean you can not "serve". I suggest you contact your states defense force.[/QUOTE]
              We wanted regular Army, and perhaps getting a tour in Europe or Korea.

Comment

• [QUOTE=FL-G8R]We wanted regular Army, and perhaps getting a tour in Europe or Korea.[/QUOTE]

You'd be in a rude awakening they just don't hand out command sponsor tours to Korea especially to Pvt. those are generally for NCO's and Officers. Maybe to Germany definitely not Korea.

Comment

• [QUOTE=7011USMC]You'd be in a rude awakening they just don't hand out command sponsor tours to Korea especially to Pvt. those are generally for NCO's and Officers. Maybe to Germany definitely not Korea.[/QUOTE]
                  We were actually hoping for Germany. Italy would have been great too. I'm not foolish or unrealistic about where I would be stationed I'm just saying that Korea would be cool. I meant it in the sense that we wanted to travel some before our daughter gets out of grade school not that that was my first pick or that I am some how entitled to it. We had made all of these plans because we were sure I would be in the Army and when it didn't happen I started looking on the forums to find out if there was anything else I could do to get in.

Comment

• I am heading back across the pond in 50 days and they are changing it that you can have an accompanied tour to Korea. But I been to both places and IMHO, Europe is much better and will be enjoying it again soon.

Comment

• And you gotta know someone to end up in Italy, or just be dumb lucky, like my stint in okinawa

Comment

• [QUOTE=Mildawg]And you gotta know someone to end up in Italy, or just be dumb lucky, like my stint in okinawa[/QUOTE]

Okinawa is the bomb diggity! I was stationed at MCAS Futenma lived at Camp Kinser 1988-1994. Rich culture and nice beaches.:D

Comment

• Hell yeah it is :) Loved it so much me and the wife want to dig up some cash and go back. We lived on camp foster but were stationed on Torii. BEACH PATROL! but that was 2002ish to 2005

Comment

• [QUOTE=7011USMC]Okinawa is the bomb diggity! I was stationed at MCAS Futenma lived at Camp Kinser 1988-1994. Rich culture and nice beaches.:D[/QUOTE]

Devil Dog, we were on Kinser the same time so I know we passed each other by the chow hall. Did you know a Lance Corporal Lequerica, the female hispanic that worked there? She got out of the Corps and joined the NYPD. Attractive WM as they mostly are but found out she batted for the same team.

Comment

• [QUOTE=FL-G8R]We wanted regular Army, and perhaps getting a tour in Europe or Korea.[/QUOTE]

The 42 age limit is for the Guard. The RA is lower, around 35-37 or something like that. You have a much better chance, if you can call it that, at getting a waiver for the Guard than RA. Read the previous posts and you'll see that the primary issue, beyond the obvious physical effects of age, is retirement.

Comment

• Re: age limit to serve

servemycountry2,

Your prior service will change the outcome of you qualifying to serve or not. Your time in service subtracted from your current age must be less than 42 years of age for you to join.

Comment

Working...
                                X