X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been to the Desert Twice

Well I am new here just thought I would say hello to everyone.:D I have been in the Gaurd for 20 years been deployed twice to Iraq. The experience wasnt that bad it was very informative to be truthful. Well if anyone wants to know anything about my deployment or myself let me know..:( :eek:

Where were you deployed? I met with a bunch of guys that were deployed in downtown baghdad, they were 13b's but they said they spent most of their time building shacks and watching roadblocks. They never lost a guy either, worst thing that happened was some guy was driving one of the local guys scooter around and crashed and broke his nose.

Also how did you guys get along with the locals? The guys i talked to said they messed with them alot but in friendly ways.

I guess they also set up a soccer field for the local kids..or fixed up an old broken down one anyway, and they would play soccer with them sometimes.
    Last edited by SSG Beckering; November 27th, 2010, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Hey, I'm curious to know about the length of your deployment. I was actually pretty psyched up about enlisting until I read that you could be gone for up to 2 years. I have my own business and that would just be too long to be away from it. So I wanted to hear about how long the average deployments are? Or if the 24 month thing is permanent?

Thanks

Comment

hi
        fisrt i want to thank you
        but i have some questions also
        1. what suprised u the most about goin over to irqc?
        2. is there anything u wish u were better prepared for?
        thanks
        ~katie~

Comment

Not sure if he is going to answer but I too was deployed...

The worst thing was the heat, 135 degrees, the locals were fine, the deployment was for 1 year boots on the ground with 6 months of training. I have not heard of anyone being gone for 2 years.
          There is some lobbying to make it 6 month tours like the Marines.
          I hope that helps.

Comment

[QUOTE=Doc]Not sure if he is going to answer but I too was deployed...

The worst thing was the heat, 135 degrees, the locals were fine, the deployment was for 1 year boots on the ground with 6 months of training. I have not heard of anyone being gone for 2 years.
            There is some lobbying to make it 6 month tours like the Marines.
            I hope that helps.[/QUOTE]
            I was just briefed by a MG last week about the new 6 mo deployments. It's true! My state will do one more 18 mo and then the 12 (6/6) after that. Good news for families.

Comment

Re: Been to the Desert Twice

A soldier can expect to serve between 6 and 15 months on a deployment. The length of a deployment may vary based on the theater and mission. A soldier deployed to Bosnia in support of peace keeping, for example, can typically expect to serve less time in that theater then a solider deployed to Iraq.

Comment

Working...
              X