X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pay amounts

Hi. I'm looking at joining the National Guard after May '08 when I finish graduate school (which also gives me lots of time to lose weight and get in shape). I know that I would be joining as an E-4 due to having a college degree (I'd like to attend OCS but I've read that it's not eligible for the same 20K enlistment bonus?). While money isn't the reason I'm joining, I do have a wife who depends on me to provide a regular paycheck to pay bills. Unfortunately my employer does not provide military pay so I would simply be on an unpaid leave of absence for training.

Here are the things I understand:
    Base pay $1662.90 - I would receive this during basic and AIT, plus BAHII of around $400 or so

I know that the drill pay is $221.90 (4 days worth) for the one weekend a month, and that I don't receive BAHII for this.

How much of that pay is taken out for taxes? I'm trying to compare what the income effect will be compared to my normal civilian pay I won't receive while in training.

During the 2 weeks a year annual training, do I receive 14 days worth of pay, or a whole month? Do I receive BAHII for this month also since I am away from my home?

My other question is about health insurance. During the initial basic/AIT, how does health insurance work? Is it provided for free to me and my wife, or is there a premium paid for it? Are there any deductibles/copays? I know during the 2 weeks annual training my employer must still provide insurance since I'm gone for less than 30 days.

Thanks!

-Jeff

1. It's pretty impossible to determine in advance exactly how much of your drill check will go to taxes. To get a frame of reference, look at what percentage of your current paycheck goes to taxes, and apply that percentage to your drill check. Remember, the Tax Man will take his bite no matter what you do or where you go, so in a manner of speaking, it all comes out in the wash.
    2. During your Annual Training period (which is actually 15 days), you'll get pay and allowances prorated for 15 days.
    3. You personally are covered medically for injuries "in the line of duty" -- that is, if you're injured at military training (not due to your own negligence or criminality), you are covered 100%. You can purchase (at your own expense) medical insurance to cover yourself and your family. This insurance is subsidized by the Department of Defense. It's too complicated to explain here, so go directly to the source: [url]http://www.tricare.osd.mil/reserve/reserveselect/index.cfm[/url]

Comment

Working...
    X