X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IET, AT/AIT, and College Semesters

When someone signs up for the guard how is training worked around the school year? I have one year of college remaining and would rather not postpone it but am interested in the guard for the tuition assistance.

You can do split-option training or pick a MOS that has training that doesn't go past the Summer.

Comment

You can also, using the same split option mentioned above, go to your basic training during the summer and wait until you graduate to attend your AIT (job specialty training). You have one year from the time you complete your basic before you're required to start your AIT. This option would allow you to choose whatever MOS (specialty) you want without having to consider how long it would take to complete it. You do have a couple of options.

Comment

Split option

I am a returning student and am thinking of joining the guard. I got two years left and since I see that I can split up my basic and AIT I think its do-able without delaying school. I am wondering though if this is done when does my enlistment actually start. Right after basic or after AIT? And can I still get a bonus even if I won't finish AIT for almost two years after enlisting? Can one be deployed without going to AIT? Thanks for any help!
        Jimi
        Last edited by maybe; April 20th, 2006, 04:56 AM.

Comment

This is how the Split Option works. You'll enlist for the SO and are assigned to a Recruit Sustainment Program (RSP) in your state. While awaiting to attend your Basic Combat Training (BCT) you will do your monthly weekend drills with the RSP which will train and prepare you for your BCT. Once you graduate from BCT, you return to your state's RSP and continue to sharpen and maintain your soldiering skills while awaiting for your AIT. During this time, the RSP could release you to your unit of assignment so you can participate in any high value training exercise they conduct while you wait for AIT. The RSP will bring you back to their program at least 120 days prior to attending AIT to ensure that you're prepared and ready to complete it. Once you complete both phases of training you will be fully assigned to the unit you enlisted for.

Unfortunately, the first installment of your bonus will not be paid until you complete your AIT, but on the other hand, you can start receiving your tuition assistance immediately after you enlist. Even though you may have to wait longer to receive your first installment, you can look at it in a positive light since your second installment (paid at your 36 months aniversary) will be paid soon after your first.

Comment

ok i re-read my post and realized i left half of it out....

hence the name "PriorSvc" I don't need BCT. Does split option still apply? As in could I join the guard this summer, attend my last year of college this coming academic year, and then go to AIT or do I need to do AIT this summer and potentially mess up my last year of school?

Comment

more ?

[QUOTE=AbnMtn] Once you complete both phases of training you will be fully assigned to the unit you enlisted for.[/QUOTE]

Cool. So at this point after I am assigned to the unit I enlisted for, then my enlistment starts counting toward however many years I've enlisted? Also, what about the deployment question. I know that there is alway a chance of deployment, but my question is are you deployable only after AIT? Thanks again!

Comment

[QUOTE=PriorSvc]ok i re-read my post and realized i left half of it out....

hence the name "PriorSvc" I don't need BCT. Does split option still apply? As in could I join the guard this summer, attend my last year of college this coming academic year, and then go to AIT or do I need to do AIT this summer and potentially mess up my last year of school?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the Split Option is not available to prior service.

Comment

[QUOTE=maybe]Cool. So at this point after I am assigned to the unit I enlisted for, then my enlistment starts counting toward however many years I've enlisted? Also, what about the deployment question. I know that there is alway a chance of deployment, but my question is are you deployable only after AIT? Thanks again![/QUOTE]

Yes, if you deploy, you have to be MOS qualified. You can not deploy before having completed AIT.

Comment

[QUOTE=maybe]Cool. So at this point after I am assigned to the unit I enlisted for, then my enlistment starts counting toward however many years I've enlisted? Also, what about the deployment question. I know that there is alway a chance of deployment, but my question is are you deployable only after AIT? Thanks again![/QUOTE]

I missed this portion of your question. Your enlistment starts counting the second you enlist. All the time spent at RSP, Basic and AIT will count towards the number of years you enlisted for.

Comment

Working...
                    X