Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran Status Question

I have two questions:

1) I served 9 years in the ARNG during peace time and during the Gulf War. My unit was in the process of being activated, but the Gulf War ended. I was given an Honorable discharge in 1993. I personally have never considered myself to be a veteran, but I know other members who have claim veteran status since they were in the Gaurd during this time period. Can someone of authority clarify this?

2) My wife asked me when I die would I get a military funeral rights due to my service in the ARNG?

Thanks

Re: Veteran Status Question

If I am not mistaken and correct me if I am, if you served over 180 days of active duty, which you might have with BCT and AIT, you are considered prior service and therefore are entitled to veteran benefits. If you serve any type of Military service you are a veteran my favorite quote.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

http://www.cem.va.gov/bbene/eligible.asp for burial information at a national cemetery
    Last edited by Vet1985; December 29th, 2011, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Yes, you are a veteran. A veteran is a person who served at least 180 days in the active military, and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable, as specified in 38 U.S.C. 101(2). Active service includes full-time Federal service in the National Guard or a Reserve Component. The definition of “active service” does not include full-time duty performed strictly for training purposes (i.e., that which is referred to as “weekend” or “annual” training), nor does it include full-time active duty performed by National Guard personnel who are mobilized by State rather than Federal authorities.

Vet1985: No, BCT, AIT , OCS and other trainings do not count towards this 180 day accrument.

I do not know the answer on the funeral one.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
        Yes, you are a veteran. A veteran is a person who served at least 180 days in the active military, and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable, as specified in 38 U.S.C. 101(2). Active service includes full-time Federal service in the National Guard or a Reserve Component. The definition of “active service” does not include full-time duty performed strictly for training purposes (i.e., that which is referred to as “weekend” or “annual” training), nor does it include full-time active duty performed by National Guard personnel who are mobilized by State rather than Federal authorities.
        I think you just contradicted yourself. The OP says his unit "was in the process of being activated." Other than that and given the information presentation, he has nothing close to 180 days of active duty.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          I think you just contradicted yourself. The OP says his unit "was in the process of being activated." Other than that and given the information presentation, he has nothing close to 180 days of active duty.
          DOH! Yes, I misread his post.

This part stands:

A veteran is a person who served at least 180 days in the active military, and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable, as specified in 38 U.S.C. 101(2). Active service includes full-time Federal service in the National Guard or a Reserve Component. The definition of “active service” does not include full-time duty performed strictly for training purposes (i.e., that which is referred to as “weekend” or “annual” training), nor does it include full-time active duty performed by National Guard personnel who are mobilized by State rather than Federal authorities.

Vet1985: No, BCT, AIT , OCS and other trainings do not count towards this 180 day accrued amount.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
            I was thinking the same thing and remember Chris; when the Gulf War happened; not everyone did 180 days. I knew active duty that just did three months and re-deployed since the war was so short. But the ones that were activated during Desert Shied and served through Desert Storm most likely served those qualifying amount of days.

Here is the link on who qualifies

http://www.militaryfuneralhonors.osd.mil/eligpage.html
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; December 29th, 2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X