X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about medical lab technician mos 68W

Hey all, was curious about the 68W MOS, first I wanted to know if there are medical lab technicians in the national guard and if there are, are they over or under strength? I understand it depends on your state, I'm in Texas, but was wondering overall? In addition I've been out since 2004, would I have to do Basic again and take the ASVAB again, I know the line score is 106 min in ST for this mos, what type of things should I be studying, I scored a 110 GT but only a 96 in ST back in 2001, thanks all for your help

Re: Question about medical lab technician mos 68W

sorry I mistyped the mos it is 68K, thanks

Comment

The Guard's medical assets are tactically-focused. We have plenty of 68W slots, however.

Comment

My husband is a 68K in the Indiana guard. He just finished AIT. Let me tell you this. It is long and very very hard. (giggity thats what she said) There is a low turn over rate in the MOS and not a lot of slots open, even if you go AD. You are looking at a 2 year Med Tech degree crammed into 6 months and then 6 months of in hospital training. The flip side is you come out with a great start in a growing medical field. If you have any other questions let me know. The best thing to do is ask your recruiter.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, if I can get my foot in the door with this one I'll take it, its a great career on the civilian side and would really like to have it, to NG wife not sure the truth to it, but I read somewhere that MLT's after a certain period of time of working can sit for an exam and if they pass it, can work as a medical technologist (the bachelor's equivalent of MLT)

Comment

Originally posted by hugsss View Post
            Thanks for the replies, if I can get my foot in the door with this one I'll take it, its a great career on the civilian side and would really like to have it, to NG wife not sure the truth to it, but I read somewhere that MLT's after a certain period of time of working can sit for an exam and if they pass it, can work as a medical technologist (the bachelor's equivalent of MLT)
            That is true.. .although most will take classes because the MT exam covers a lot of stuff that you wont necessessarily see in the lab (read: weird stuff, bugs etc) My husband plans on using his GI bill to get his bachelors in Laboratory Technology to prepare for his MT.

Comment

Now that I'm back in the office, I have access to the Grand Unification Database, and can run the formal query.

In the entire Army National Guard nation-wide, we have 67 positions at SL10 (entry-level) for MOS 67K. We currently have 101 Soldiers filling those slots. There are still 11 vacancies showing as of the end of last month, with one each in Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Missouri, Missouri, New York, and Ohio. By no means is this a promise that you'll get one of those slots, but I would start there.

The slots appear in separate medical companies, as well as the "Charlie Med" companies of the BSBs and ASGs.

Please note that if your future lies in the medical field, you can always enlist in an unrelated MOS and use your tuition assistance to attend civilian school. No matter what your military MOS, I bet the civilian hospital won't hire you without a civilian certification of some kind.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                Now that I'm back in the office, I have access to the Grand Unification Database, and can run the formal query.

In the entire Army National Guard nation-wide, we have 67 positions at SL10 (entry-level) for MOS 67K. We currently have 101 Soldiers filling those slots. There are still 11 vacancies showing as of the end of last month, with one each in Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Missouri, Missouri, New York, and Ohio. By no means is this a promise that you'll get one of those slots, but I would start there.

The slots appear in separate medical companies, as well as the "Charlie Med" companies of the BSBs and ASGs.

Please note that if your future lies in the medical field, you can always enlist in an unrelated MOS and use your tuition assistance to attend civilian school. No matter what your military MOS, I bet the civilian hospital won't hire you without a civilian certification of some kind.
                You are correct. You must pass the ASCP to work in a civilian lab (there is a second certification but I cant remember what it is called, but it isnt a requirement to work in most labs).

Comment

Sir, is the 67K a typo or were you giving options? 68K is the mos I was curious about, but don't mind keeping my options open, to NG wife, not sure if you guys are aware, but in the last year of the MT programs, you have to interview and be accepted into an internship, typically a year long, most programs have limited slots, not that it isn't impossible just competitive, which is why I imagine that many MLT's, get prep materials and study their butt off to get certified...as an MT. again thanks for the replies..

Comment

Sir, is the 67K a typo or were you giving options? 68K is the mos I was curious about, but don't mind keeping my options open, to NG wife, not sure if you guys are aware, but in the last year of the MT programs, you have to interview and be accepted into an internship, typically a year long, most programs have limited slots, not that it isn't impossible just competitive, which is why I imagine that many MLT's, get prep materials and study their butt off to get certified...as an MT. again thanks for the replies..
                    Le Sigh... Yep. One of the reasons my husband got the job he has is because someone left for their internship. We arent worried about it really.. he was 2nd in his class and has a degree in chemical engineering so it comes fairly easy for him.

Comment

Sir, is the 67K a typo or were you giving options? 68K is the mos I was curious about, ...
                      The "67" is the total quantity of positions at grades E1-4 in the entire ARNG nation-wide.

Comment

Working...
                      X