Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Service Marine looking into the Guard

Hello Board,

Long time lurker of the forum (recently registered). I'm living in Pennsylvania and got in touch with the area recruiter about guard opportunities (he mentioned he's a prior service marine as well, LOL). First I want to say this forum has been extremely helpful in my personal research as well as helping me understand the potential options and pitfalls so thanks to all the helpful contributors on this site.

I met a PA Guard officer recently at a Veteran's Day event and he suggested the Signal Corps and officer opportunities based on my background. I've been working in the telecom sector since I separated from the Corps and also have a graduate degree in this are. Not sure if I want to do more of the same in the Guard but I'll certainly consider all options (Enlisted or Officer).

Re: Prior Service Marine looking into the Guard

So I got a chance to speak with the recruiter today and I guess things are changing at least here in PA. I was told the PA Guard is almost at full strength with only a couple of slots open per unit across the state. He mentioned a couple of motor transport and combat engineer slots in the area (between those two I would certainly go with the engineer).

He indicated I would probably not be able to keep E5 (go in probably as E4) but he mentioned I should pick it back up quickly. Can you guys confirm if keeping the rank is strictly based on one thing or multiples (break in service, MOS, slots available in the unit, Unit decision?).

When I asked about officer opportunities he mentioned I could submit after enlisting which conflicts with the 09S comments I've seen on the board. He seemed like a decent guy but you never know with recruiters. He mentioned the retaking the asvab and doing the medical screening (he has another prior service marine going in a couple of weeks and mentioned he could try to get me on with the same appt).

Comment

Good luck Marine.

Comment

Full Disclosure: I'm not in the Guard or any service component yet.

I plan on joining once I get my degree in the spring.

Slots are filling up where I live too, so I'm looking at both the Guard and the Army Reserve.

From what I have been told by a recruiter, the Guard is different than the other army components when it comes to OCS. You enlist first before you go to the Battalion Board. For the RA or AR you go to the board first and if selected then enlist. (If I have this wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me)

Sergeant, how long is your break in service?
        Last edited by Mike.; November 26th, 2011, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tony_roach View Post
          I asked about officer opportunities he mentioned I could submit after enlisting which conflicts with the 09S comments I've seen on the board.
          Dude, they can put you right into OCS in one of three ways:

"There are three options for attending OCS, as outlined below. After speaking with a recruiter, you'll choose the best one for you based on your specific circumstances, such as your work and Family commitments.

State OCS (Traditional)

Where: Your state’s Regional Training Institute, or RTI
          When: Weekends only—16-18 months of one weekend a month, plus 2 two-week periods

National Guard Bureau Accelerated OCS

Where: School locations vary by season and state
          When: Eight weeks straight, seven days a week, winter or summer session

Federal OCS

Where: Fort Benning, Georgia
          When: 14 weeks, courses offered year-round"

Especially with a graduate degree, your talents would be better suited as an Officer. Just my .02

Comment

Working...
          X