X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest prior service age?

What is the allowable oldest age a prior service soldier can be?

Re: Oldest prior service age?

"For each year over age 41, applicants must have one year of prior qualifying service."

From the National Guard.com Website.

Since you are retired I'm sure there are going to be more hoops to jump through than just being prior service.

My neighbor did it about 12 years ago for Active Duty Air Force. Retired at 20, got laid off by the Airlines and went back flying bombers.

Comment

Enlistment age cannot exceed 35 years old. Your active duty years reduce your enlistment age. So if you are 36 years old with 4 years of active duty; then you are 32 years of age for enlistment purposes. Take your prior discharge certificates to your nearest NG recruiter.

Comment

Yes Mike, the red tape is ridiculous. I retired after OIF II in '05 and have tried since '07 to get back in. But, I can remember back in the early eighties guys in their fifties popping back in the guard after a number of years out. Guys that were no where near in shape. Saw some in the nineties as well. I'm in great shape, but I have that dang "retirement" letter and I think that is what scares off recruiters.

Comment

I'm not sure if this will help but have you looked at this thread?

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...-of-retirement

If you haven't, look at the two posts by LTC Ritchie.

Good Luck SSG Cornett and I hope you get back in!

Comment

Thanks Mike, at least there is a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by SSG KC View Post
              What is the allowable oldest age a prior service soldier can be?
              It's true what they say, "old soldiers never die...they just fade away". It's a shame our country doesn't maintain an active voluntary list of former soldiers whom they could call on to fill the ranks of deploying units going in theater. Many of use leave the military feeling they have much more to offer if just asked, instead of going through all of the red tape which is in place.
              We are not a bunch of "Hogan's Heroes", but well trained former soldiers whom our country has invested thousands of dollars and man hours on to forge us into a "warrior". Especially, when one looks at the number of deployments our young, and not so young "seasoned" warriors are going through. Not to mention their families and the resulting divorce rates within the ranks of the military. Probably, most of us whom would say "yes, I would be honored to serve again" have raised our families and our home front is secured for the future. And we maintain our health and fitness. Not to mention being mature mentors, and maybe even replacement fathers to our young soldiers during the resulting stressors of war. So, that being said, I hope someone reading this reply will pass it on to the higher powers to be, i.e. Obama, and realize old soldiers never die. I would be the first to say "I do".
              Looking back during the first Gulf War, I saw former soldiers being pulled back into service whom would of picked up a "snickers" than an M-16. Also, my flight surgeon went on to serve multible times in OIF and OEF before they basically said "look dude, you've given many times over, it's time to enjoy what life you have left". Believe it or not, he was near his eighties before calling it quits. He always volunteered.
              "We are all veterans, but, only the taste of war can make a warrior".

Comment

To anyone reading my last reply, I want to apologize for not proof reading my work. No "Hogan" Heros" here.

Comment

Retired Soldiers remain on the list for recall, and hundreds were recalled (most voluntarily) since 9-11.

Active military service is only one of many ways to serve the security interests of the nation. You may wish to consider your State Defense Force, for one example.

Comment

Working...
                  X