X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling overseas question and options

I have done some searching with little luck so I thought I would ask.

I am a former active duty Armor officer (with a few years in the GA army national guard as well). I am also a special agent with the federal gov. My last duty assignment with my agency was an emergency essential position so I was forced into the IRR or ING (don't remember), but it was a non-deployable position.

I am no longer at that office and would like to get back into the guard, but now the problem is that I will be spending about half my career overseas with the agency in a new FAO position (3-4 years overseas, 3-4 years in the US, and back and forth).

I have 6 years active and 6 years national guard time. I was forced into a non-deployable status 3 years ago as an O-3 (but the government does not require me to be non-deployable now).

Is service in the Guard going to work? What are my drilling options? I am willing to drill without pay while overseas if necessary. Any advice/information would be great.

Tankerguy

Re: Drilling overseas question and options

I know of a few that when they do get back to the states they make up drills in an STA status and get it all done over a few days of coming in during the week and working with the full timers. I also know of a couple that drill with a random unit overseas but get paid by their assigned unit. This of course is dependant on where overseas you will be and if there are units there. I guess i'm trying to say it can be done but depends on your chain of command on if and how they will okay it being done, there isnt a set standard, at least not one that is typically followed.

Comment

I just came back from serving in Europe where the Army Reserves has units not the Guard.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and info. What is STA?

I will be living in Singapore (no army in SE Asia to the best of my knowledge) when I am overseas. It sounds like I need to contact some units in the VA/DC/MD region to link up with them and find out what they are willing to deal with now and in the future. I am willing to make up all the drills I miss while overseas when I get back, but that might be too much for to ask of a command. Is it possible to do correspondence or something else for drills (for points) and then make up AT's when I get back?

And Does anyone know how the transition works coming from a non-deployable status in the IRR back to drilling status? Who needs to be contacted?

Tankerguy

Comment

STA=dang what is the acronym? Escapes me but it is making up drill because of something else going on in your life (personal or Guard related) that your Chain of Command approves for you to miss scheduled drill weekend but make-up.

One female I know works as a Contractor in a 'war zone' and gets R&R every 3-4 months, she makes up all 3-4 when home for a few weeks. Of course, that is because her COC approved it, but not the first time i've heard of it being done either.

Comment

SUTA is the term you're searching for. OP, your best option would be the USAR either through IRR, IMA or a TPU position.

Comment

STA/SUTA...got it. I did a few short term deployments to Iraq as an agent for a few years (while in the GA guard at the same time). My commander did exactly that...let me make up my drills when I got back, etc.

I will look into the USAR more, but did not think they had many units/position for an armor officer. I will try to verify that. How would the USAR differ from the NG while I am living overseas? I won't be able to drill overseas either way (so that knocks out the TPU option right?) Is there an option in the NG or USAR to do correspondence courses or something similar for points?

What I am looking for is a way to maintain my service in the reserves or NG and accrue point toward retirement, while living overseas in SE Asia and in the states. My ideal way to do that is to be in a drilling status in a unit while living in the states and doing whatever I have to while living overseas (I would really like to keep accruing points while living overseas if it is at all possible). It is a big hassle to have to jump between drilling status and the IRR every few years.

Am I asking too much? Is it doable from what you have seen?

Comment

Originally posted by Tankerguy View Post
                STA/SUTA...got it. I did a few short term deployments to Iraq as an agent for a few years (while in the GA guard at the same time). My commander did exactly that...let me make up my drills when I got back, etc.

I will look into the USAR more, but did not think they had many units/position for an armor officer. I will try to verify that. How would the USAR differ from the NG while I am living overseas? I won't be able to drill overseas either way (so that knocks out the TPU option right?) Is there an option in the NG or USAR to do correspondence courses or something similar for points?

What I am looking for is a way to maintain my service in the reserves or NG and accrue point toward retirement, while living overseas in SE Asia and in the states. My ideal way to do that is to be in a drilling status in a unit while living in the states and doing whatever I have to while living overseas (I would really like to keep accruing points while living overseas if it is at all possible). It is a big hassle to have to jump between drilling status and the IRR every few years.

Am I asking too much? Is it doable from what you have seen?
                I have known people in the reserves to work out a deal and allow for a OCONUS SUTA type deal....HOWEVER...to the best of my knowledge, due to the legal stipulations between Title 32 (Guard) and reservists who are always Title 10....A person may not be OCONUS in a Title 32 status, hence everyone I ever knew who was able to accomplish this was in the reserves, not the guard. Even full time personel (AGR) in the guard, if they must go OCONUS for any reason they have to be cut a Title 10 order. There is no way to drill in a Title 10 status, so you best bet is a make up session, of the reserve component.

P.S. The reason for this is so that you are subject to the UCMJ. Otherwise, you would be on your own, in a foreign land.

Comment

Yeah..I'm going to echo the reserve comments. In my civilian job I was overseas as an Army employee and I needed to bring an Army CPT, 2x 1LT and a senior NCO on board to work for me in my office... something to do with my manpower requirements and the type of funding we had available, we couldnt get any full time civilians. So, I put a call out to a few resources I know such as message boards asking for MI officers branched in those ranks. Long story short I poiled the selectoin for CPT down to a national guard CPT. He arrived overseas and served for about a week and I had to sign the papers verifying he was satisfactorily drilling, then some kinda **** came down from above and he had to be released from the NG to the Reserves.

Comment

Working...
                  X