Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE-3P - Entry Level Separation

Good afternoon everyone,

I joined the Marine Corps in December of 2009. When I joined, I was given a medical waiver for a congenital heart defect that was corrected when I was 3 years old. Since the defect was corrected, I have had no further symptoms and have always led a very physical lifestyle. However, once I got to recruit training in January, I became very ill. (Which I assume is typical, considering that around 80 people from all over the U.S. are thrown together to live in a squad bay.) I began coughing excessively and feeling some chest pain, which obviously affected my physical abilities and was noticed by my Drill Instructors. I was sent to medical, where I was given an EKG and chest x-ray, both of which came back normal. A Navy doctor automatically recommended me for separation, even though all my tests were negative and I expressed that I wanted to continue training.

Within a month, I was given an uncharacterized Entry Level Separation and sent home. My dd-214 states that my re-entry code is RE-3P, with a separation code of JFV1.

Is there ANY chance that I could join the National Guard? More specifically, the Arkansas NG? I have tried for over a year to get back into the Marine Corps with no luck whatsoever and I desperately want to serve my country. I have seen numerous civilian doctors since returning home and they have all stated that my heart appears normal and I am not limited physically.

I plan on contacting a recruiter tomorrow, but any insight or help from this forum would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Re: RE-3P - Entry Level Separation

The issue is no longer your heart. Now the issue is the RE3. Perhaps you could look into getting that changed to RE2 ???
    Last edited by Squash; August 10th, 2011, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Squash View Post
      The issue is no longer your heart. Now the issue is the RE3. Perhaps you could look into getting that changed to RE2 ???
      That is not good advice. An RE-2 from the Marine Corps is a permanent disqualification for reenlistment. It is equivalent to and Army RE-4.

You will need to talk to a local Guard recruiter and see if you can even process for a discharge/medical waiver.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I was supposed to speak with a recruiter today, but I had to cancel my plans due to something that came up at work.

I figured that a recruiter would be the only one who could give me any definite answers on this, and I plan on meeting with one as soon as possible.

Comment

I thought I'd go ahead and update this thread for informational purposes.

My waiver has been accepted at the state level, and I now have a spot reserved as a 31B with my local unit. It is now being sent up to the NGB for approval, and I've been told to expect a 3 day to 3 week wait. Anyone who is in the process of joining with a unfavorable RE code: Don't give up hope. After months of trying, I finally found a GREAT recruiter willing to work with me, and so far the process is going well. Good luck to anyone else out there in a similar situation!

Comment

Working...
          X