X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract Length

I'm looking to enlist into the ARNG with already having a DD368 (conditional release) etc. approved still currently being in the IRR and formerly a Marine Reservist. However, I'm not looking to sign my life away blindly again for another 6x2. The situation is: my hand is being forced to enlist and apply for the state's ARNG aviation board from within because of not possessing a min of a SECRET clearance within the last 10 years. Long story short, I'll enlist, become MOS q'd obtain my clearance and then resubmit my package and appear before the board as a ARNG Soldier vs. prior service Marine. In a way this could be better, who knows. Regardless, that's the deal.

Do (1) year contracts exist for the guard? If not, what is the minimum length?

Sgt P

Re: Contract Length

There use to be try 1s for prior service, as well as 3 yr. Not sure if they are still around. I havent heard of them in a few years.

Comment

The try one is usually only available to prior service who have completed their 8 year military service obligation (MSO). If you have 8 years or more service then you might be eligible for the Try one. If have not completed your MSO, then you would have to reenlist for the remainder of that 8yrs.

Comment

I'm a Marine as well... a friend and I EAS'd the same day... he went to Oregon and I came back to Montana.

In Oregon, he joined the Guard and did the Try One deal... I tried that, but I was told that in my state I would have to
        finish out the rest of my obligation with the IRR. I have just under three years with the IRR because I spent an entire year
        on DEP to get an 03XX slot, lol. So I'll be in the Guard for just under three years...
        I guess it just varies by state.

Comment

Originally posted by BaconSammich View Post
          I was told that in my state I would have to
          finish out the rest of my obligation with the IRR.
          Yeah, that sounds about right. When my conditional release was approved I was advised that the year and a half I have left in the IRR would need to be fulfilled in one manner or another.

So, instead of a "try one" I'd essentially get a "try one and a half" then?! LOL

Comment

Come to think of it, when I re-enlisted...while technically on the IRR...I actually re-enlisted for 1 year and 3 months, bringing me to the end of my original 8 year term.

Comment

Well, let's hope that's still possible! As soon as this recruiter get's back to me, I'll let you all know what he says!

Comment

Working...
              X