X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum re-enlist age by state?

I ETSed from the INARNG in 1998 with 6 years' service. I turn 43 early next year. To re-enlist in the INARNG, I must be no more than 35 years old + amount of time in service; i.e., 41. At 42, I'm too old for the INARNG. However, I was told that Indiana occasionally juggles figures based on need and budget. Since the state has more NG members than needed, it's unlikely anything will open for me.

Hence my question: Is there a resource listing the maximum age for re-enlistment by state? Is there a state or territory where I am not too old to re-enlist? I would love to be in the TX, OH, NM, or AZ National Guard, but I have yet to hear back from recruiters there. I doubt having a BA and MA help my case.

A related question: Assuming I can re-enlist in the NG of a state other than Indiana--let's say Maine--if I become an MEARNG member but decide to move to NM, must the NMARNG take me, or can they argue I'm too old, they have no space, or they have no budget?

Re: Maximum re-enlist age by state?

A recruiter will answer your question but I believe that regulation applies to all 50 states and its territories.

Comment

The regulation regarding max age is a national regulation. Individual States may uphold the standard more strictly as a matter of local policy, particularly now when we have plenty of Soldiers. Enlistment is not a civil right, and your new State has no obligation to take you even if you meet qualification standards.

Comment

Thank you very much. The answers were what I regrettably expected: I'm too old.

Comment

Originally posted by awawa212 View Post
          Thank you very much. The answers were what I regrettably expected: I'm too old.
          Don't give up. Regs say the state can give you an age waiver if you have been "Honorably" discharged. I recieved a waiver 14 months ago.

As stated above, it's up to the state. However, if you find a unit that will accept you it's an easier path and the recruiter will take the time with you.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X