X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are waivers permanent?

I'm a prior service ARNG, with 9 years of enlistment. I've been out of the military for 3 years now, and I'm thinking of getting back in. I have nothing in my DD-214 that would keep me from coming back, all of my codes and character of service are great.

When I initially came in 12 years ago, I told them at MEPS about a peanut allergy I have, which of course gave me a red flag. My unit was able to get me a waiver for the condition because I had exceptional ASVAB scores. My question is, would I need to get another waiver for my allergy if I wanted to rejoin? I'm really considering coming back, but I just don't know if a recruiter would want someone requiring the work of rewaivering me, when I'm sure there are plenty that don't. Thanks for any help!

Re: Are waivers permanent?

My understanding is that waivers are only good for a year from the time of issue (someone will correct me if I am wrong). This is based on a prior service friend who had to get a waiver again (same as his first time enlisting) to reenlist after a couple of years out of the service.

Comment

Depends on the type of waiver. I required a moral waiver to get into the Guard. When I transferred to the active component (over 5 years later), my moral waiver was allowed. But I kept that waiver in my file.

I do not know if your post solely pertains to medical waivers.

Comment

You would have to get a new waiver.

Also...not to bust your bubble, but your ASVAB score probably didnt have a lot to do with your waiver being approved before. It would have more to do with the guard needing people.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I was told that my ASVAB was why I got the waiver, but y'inz know how that goes. I know there are plenty of threads that deal with waivers, etc but I couldn't find anything that discussed reentry. Does anyone happen to know the current status of medical waivers? Would I have a shot? I'm not looking to waste someone's time for a long shot. Thanks!

Comment

[QUOTE=CivEng;149047 I'm not looking to waste someone's time for a long shot. Thanks![/QUOTE]

What's wrong with a long shot if its your dream? HOOAH!

Comment

Working...
            X