Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible for me to enlist in the Army National Guard?

I was prior service Air Force. I have an honorable discharge; however, my entry code is 2k, separation code jtj.

Is it still possible for me to enlist in the Army National Guard?

Thank you for time.

Re: Is it possible for me to enlist in the Army National Guard?

I'm not finding that code in my reference list. What is the narrative? My educated guess, based on the code series, is that it's an involuntary discharge. I'm guessing that you did something to earn an involuntary discharge.

Comment

Yes, 2K means Formally notified of involuntary separation. JTJ means unsatisfactory performance.

I didn't do anything like use drugs, get into a fight, etc.

Basically, I graduated from the Defense Language Institute at Presidio of Monterey for Korean. I washed out in Intel School. I tried my best, and was reclassified into public affairs. I struggled through, but graduated and was assigned to my first unit.

Basically, things didn't work out. I'm not saying that I'm totally innocent of everything I was accused of. But, despite my best efforts, I was discharged.

That was 13 years ago. I just turned 34. I still have regrets about my military career, and if possible, serving in the National Guard would be a great way to make up for it.

If that's not possible, I'll serve my community in other ways. Thanks for replying back.

Comment

I have heard of JHJ - Army, USMC, USAF Unsuitability (Reason Unknown)/ Unsatisfactory performance.....but never J T J.

Comment

I'm looking at my DD214 right now. I may have been wrong. The form is a little hard to read, but the middle character does appear to be more of an H than a J. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by hannism View Post
            Yes, 2K means Formally notified of involuntary separation. JTJ means unsatisfactory performance.

I didn't do anything like use drugs, get into a fight, etc.

Basically, I graduated from the Defense Language Institute at Presidio of Monterey for Korean. I washed out in Intel School. I tried my best, and was reclassified into public affairs. I struggled through, but graduated and was assigned to my first unit.

Basically, things didn't work out. I'm not saying that I'm totally innocent of everything I was accused of. But, despite my best efforts, I was discharged.

That was 13 years ago. I just turned 34. I still have regrets about my military career, and if possible, serving in the National Guard would be a great way to make up for it.

If that's not possible, I'll serve my community in other ways. Thanks for replying back.
            So why dont you tell the board what you DID happen and then we can answer accuratly. People don't get separated from the military for "things not working out."

Comment

If it is a matter of 'things not working out' what is it that you were ''accused of'' that you are referring to?

Comment

I was discharged for unsatisfactory performance. I was assigned to base newspaper, and probably worked at least 60-70 hours a week. I basically made enemies with my unit. When I got my first EPR, it was a 2. I went and talked to the Senior Enlisted Advisor, and showed him my EPR. He laughed. He said to me that in 30 years, that was the worst EPR he had ever seen. He said there was not one good thing that was said about me. It was all negative.

Day in and day out, I had a miserable time. I was called in to speak to the unit's commander, first sergeant, and then base legal.

I was offered an honorable discharge. At the time, it seemed like the best choice to take.

Honestly, I didn't get along with my unit. Other than that, I didn't do anything else wrong. My unit criticized me daily for "not meeting" their standards. In my observations, I believe I did a lot more work than my counterparts.

If anyone is a recruiter, I'll be more than happy to email my DD214.

Comment

I was discharged for unsatisfactory performance. That's what I was being accused of.

I posted earlier, but I don't think my reply went through. I worked about 50-70 hours a week on the base newspaper. I had enemies in my unit. The first EPR I received was a 2. The Air Force EPR system goes from 1-5. 5 is the highest. Anything below a 4, and your career is pretty much over.

I showed it to the base's Senior Enlisted Advisor. He basically said that was the worst EPR he had seen in 30 years. Not one good thing was said about me.

One time I got an LOA. Basically, I had made an appointment to do an interview with a MSGT. I needed to take a picture of his bathroom, because we had a story going on about contractors doing bathroom renovations on base housing. The base calls a readiness alert, and he couldn't make it.

I got an LOA because I didn't look into other measures. But, honestly, how could I have known a readiness exercise would've been called?

To give more information on it. The base paper needs to be done by Wednesday, and is delivered on Friday. I found out about it Tuesday, scheduled the meeting for Wednesday.

Another thing I was accused of was breaking the SLR lens for the camera. It was a unit camera. I did use it more often than the rest of my counterparts, but I had treated it gently. But, because I used it more, I was accused of breaking it.

I guess that's a fair assessment. But, that lens didn't break until I had used it for a year, and I know I took care of equipment assigned to me. What bothers me is no one checked who used it last? It was automatically assumed I had broken it.

What I was accused of was unsatisfactory performance, and being incompetent.

I was sent to talk to the unit's first sergeant, commander and then base legal. After all of that, I was offered an honorable discharge.
                  Last edited by hannism; July 18th, 2011, 12:58 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

double post
                    Last edited by hannism; July 18th, 2011, 01:08 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by hannism View Post
                      If anyone is a recruiter, I'll be more than happy to email my DD214.
                      Please don't email this document to strangers on the Internet. Your life is hard enough without identify theft to deal with.

Comment

I'm in the process of reenlisting a soldier from the US ARMY who had an unsat performance for three PT failures. The NEW 2011 ECM says no waiver required for unsat performance / PT failure. Here's my question....Where is this airman from and how quick can he drive to Rhode Island?

Comment

I am back in CT, I can be in RI in an hour. oh wait you weren`t talking to me....**** :-)

Comment

Working...
                          X