X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USAR to Guard

I am enlisted USAR 31b as an E4 and I am considering going Guard for either Virginia, New York or Connecticut. I ETS in 2014 and am going through my final SRP in about two months for deployment. My ASVAB was taken back in high school and is not great, so I may take it again, but a NG recruiter told me that I only really qualify for combat arms MOS'.. If I score about the same on my ASVAB, I am considering either staying 31b or going into the 11 series like my brother did. I would appreciate any advice or tips you may have. If I go VaNG, I would like to be in the 29th; but for NyNG and CtNG, I have no idea what options I have at hand. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this. I am going back to college after deployment and hopefully can finish ROTC this time.

SPC Taylor
    305th MP Company USAR

Re: USAR to Guard

Originally posted by Roman Legion View Post
    I am enlisted USAR 31b as an E4 and I am considering going Guard for either Virginia, New York or Connecticut. I ETS in 2014 and am going through my final SRP in about two months for deployment. My ASVAB was taken back in high school and is not great, so I may take it again, but a NG recruiter told me that I only really qualify for combat arms MOS'.. If I score about the same on my ASVAB, I am considering either staying 31b or going into the 11 series like my brother did. I would appreciate any advice or tips you may have. If I go VaNG, I would like to be in the 29th; but for NyNG and CtNG, I have no idea what options I have at hand. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this. I am going back to college after deployment and hopefully can finish ROTC this time.

SPC Taylor
    305th MP Company USAR
    It would be beneficial for us to help you if you shared your reasons why you are looking into crossing over to Guard. That we we can point you in the best direction. Why specifically are you seeking this?

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      It would be beneficial for us to help you if you shared your reasons why you are looking into crossing over to Guard. That we we can point you in the best direction. Why specifically are you seeking this?
      Every unit in the Reserves I have been in has been ****.. My father was AGR guard for 20 years and he told me to try guard, because I expressed my wish to get out of the Army.. There are just multifarious reasons why I wish to get out of the Reserves and try the guard on the shortest contract I can do. Be it craptacular gear(Half of my gear still being BDU and half of it is not my size and cannot be used or was not issued items I actually need.) I know soon the Army will be issuing new gear for deployment, but I was only listing factors that have led me to my decision. Leadership failure to the nth degree, as well as a failure in dissemination of basic info and getting screwed by not recieving it. I also cannot get either of my units to do anything for me, such as signing me up for any military courses and massive pay issues.. Et cetera.. I want to try something else before deciding to leave the Army.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Legion View Post

SPC Taylor
        305th MP Company USAR
        +1 to ParaLegal and if you have not already done so; you need to talk to a recruiter from each state that you are interested in. I switched between components and sometimes it was a good thing and sometimes it was bad. Those bad reasons were because I did not do my homework that led to a poor, hasty decision and did not listen to the proper advice.

If you also going to ROTC and probably will SMP, why would you switch?

Comment

Working...
        X