X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USAF AD to National Gaurd WO-need opinions

I am currently an E-6 in AD USAF with 12 years under my belt. I'm ready to move onto something different and would like to go National Gaurd. I'm not sure how to go about this. I have talked to a recruiter and he told me I would go to basic training if I went enlisted and to WOCS if I went WO. My question is this. I want to get the most training that I can for the ARNG. I did not get anything near the training in AF basic that the Army gets in basic. What kind of weapons, land navigation, ect training would I get in WOCS? Would it be better for me to go in enlisted first and go through basic training before applying for WOCS?

Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: USAF AD to National Gaurd WO-need opinions

At WOCS you won't be getting much training on weapons. You are going to be trained to be an Warrant Officer IE: Trained to lead and become a SME (subject matter expert) so attention to detail is a big part of it. Now depending on the MOS you pick than you might be dealing with weapons. IE I'm signal, the only weapon I'll be dealing with during MOSQ is a laptop. Army basic training really does not teach much in the line of land nav. That's for a later down the line. They do teach you how to read a grid and do some call for fire, but they really don't teach you how to navigate terrain. I think it's mainly because they have so much they need to teach you and so many soliders to teach it to. If they tried to teach an entire company of brand new soldiers how to landnav they would be dealing with lost souls, people screwing each other behind trees, people sleeping and people just trying to run away. As far as weapons those will be things you deal with back at your unit, unless you decide to take a combat MOS. If you do not, what I would recommend is find a good NCO and ask them to teach you how to handle the rifle/pistol. We had a USAF E6 come into our unit and he never fired a rifle. He needed to qualify and our NCOIC was too concerned with his own qualification to be bothered. The poor guy went up to the range 3 times until I showed him what he was doing wrong. So again, find a good NCO who knows how to shoot. But in an effort to keep the post as short as possible. Pick a job you like or are currently doing and go Warrant.
    Last edited by SGTS6; May 18th, 2011, 08:44 PM.

Comment

It's not an "either, or" scenario. You would still have to go through BCT before you would be able to go to WOCS.

Comment

SGTS6 - Thanks for the response and your advice. I'm having trouble with the thought of leading soldiers without knowing how to be a soldier myself. The training you guys/gals get is by far better than we do in basic. I'm not bashing the AF. Most of us ride a desk and don't need to learn those skills.

RSP NCO - I was told by a LA Guard recruiter that I would go straight to WOCS. Am I getting bad info? From what you're saying, this may not be a choice I make anyway.

Comment

Whats your AFSC? Security Forces and Special Operations members of the Air Force do not have to go through BCT or if you have ever held either AFSC then you don't have to go either.
          Last edited by MichaelPC; May 19th, 2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I'm a 2A771 (Aircraft Machinist/Welder). If I go enlisted I will definitely have to go through basic which I personally don't have a problem with.

Comment

Working...
            X