X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on crossing from reserve to guard

I was wondering if anyone could give me any guidance on crossing over from the reserves to the guard. I am still in the reserves as a 12B and have been in for three years. I am currently finishing up a deployment in Iraq and still have three years left on my current contract.
    I am interested in switching over to the guard to go infantry. The problem is that I still have 3yrs left on my contract. I will be 33 here shortly and do not want to wait until I am 36 to go infantry.
    I am also interested in the SF progam and meet all of the requirements that were posted on the website.
    Any info would be helpful, if it can't happen then I guess I'll just **** it up and drive on with my current enlistment.
    Thanks for any info

Re: Info on crossing from reserve to guard

Your enlistment does not need to expire in order to transfer to another component. My suggest is that you get with a National Guard recruiter from your state (perhaps one is located on this website) and find out if its currently possible with the slot you are seeking.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
      Your enlistment does not need to expire in order to transfer to another component. My suggest is that you get with a National Guard recruiter from your state (perhaps one is located on this website) and find out if its currently possible with the slot you are seeking.
      Does this include transferring from an Active component as well?

Comment

Originally posted by 23EightSix View Post
        Does this include transferring from an Active component as well?
        That requires approval of a conditional release from your Command and prior service recruiting guidelines from the active component. You might get the conditional release but the active component will not accept prior service based on rank and MOS.

I did both during my career but it is based on a lot of what ifs.

Comment

Originally posted by jinxed247 View Post
          I am also interested in the SF progam and meet all of the requirements that were posted on the website.
          Any info would be helpful, if it can't happen then I guess I'll just **** it up and drive on with my current enlistment.
          Thanks for any info
          Some Guard SF units will allow you to schedule and attend an evaluation/assessment drill while you are still in the Army Reserve. If you pass the evaluation, then they could help you begin the request for a conditional release and eventual enlistment into that state's Guard. Then you would be processed and scheduled to attend SFAS.

If you want more information on this process please send me a PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys....SF Hunter..PM sent

Comment

OP, you're not going anywhere until at least 90 days post mob and most likely not for a few months after that until you're unit gets back into a routine.

There's a lot of hurdles in your path. Make sure you investigate them before just jumping into something. Also, have you looked into CA/PSYOPS? You could probably get many of the schools you're looking for in that field.

Comment

RedLeg-thanks for the heads up but it's not just the schools that I am interested in. I guess it's the actual job. I am at the age now where I am tired of going into a certain field because it would be a good choice. I don't want to be like my XO and have a Ranger tab but never lived the life.

Comment

Working...
                X