Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks for the help and looking for some guidance.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the help and looking for some guidance.

Hey all, I got the word today and my pre determination packet was accepted at Ft Gordon so as it is looking right now I am going to be crossing over from the Air Guard to the Army Guard. Thank you all for the encouragement and the help along the way. Needless to say I am more than excited for this to finally happen. I joined the Air guard because it was what my family wanted me to do and now I finally get to join the Army guard like I always wanted since I was 18. I am a little nervous about how it is going to be adapting to the Army way of life. Are they any prior USAF guys out there than can fill me in on how it was for them adjusting to the Army? Any help and advice is welcome. Thanks.

Re: Thanks for the help and looking for some guidance.

Don't sweat it, unless you were Special Ops qualified all Airmen are required to attend basic training you will learn to adjust there. Good Luck to you.

Comment

Actually I will not be attending BCT because I have been picked up as a warrant. Because there is a shortage of walking warrants, warrant office recruit in has been opened to all branches of the military. I will enlist as a warrant officer candidate through inter service transfer then either attend the 6 week course at Ft Rucker or the state run program. Similar to the enlistment for OCS if I was coming from another branch, hence the question about adapting to the army way of life.

Comment

HOOAH that's sounds awesome.

Comment

Congrats! Gotcha - same answer applies then, you will learn a lot at WOC Warrant Officer Candidate Course. Get yourself an Officer or NCO Handbook from the PX, that will help. That will give you a baseline on customs and courtesies or download FM (field manual) 7-21.13 from www.usapa.army.mil. AR (Army Regulation) 670-1 will assist with Wear of the Uniform and Grooming. Good luck to you.

Comment

Thanks guys. I am running into a tiny snag here now. My recruiter said he is not really familiar with moving Air force guys over and thought he heard something where all 09S and 09W candidates will have to attend BCT now. Does anyone know this answer or a manning order I can reference so I can go start this cross over on Friday? It was my understanding from all the research I have done that if you are prior service and joining under a 09S or 09W enlistment you will forgo BCT and begin the training. I can honestly say that I feel like I am 18 again, even though tomorrow I am 30..................

Comment

As I stated before all prior service Navy and Air Force (not serving in a SOC position) will attend basic. This is new as of this fiscal year. We used to have a WTC (Warrior transition course) but that did not work out and was dropped by National Guard Bureau. My experience is that all 09S/09W attend basic and then move to BOLC or WOC after. I was surprised when you told me that you were different so I went with what you were experiencing, however since you have NO combat survivability training (at least not to Army standards) you will attend basic. There is no exception of which I am aware that would change that requirement, unless of course you are already commissioned or held a warrant in another service. (I know the AF does not have warrants). You willl attend basic and then go to WOC (assuming your AFSC matches a Warrant MOS in the Army), as long as you pass WOC you are G2G. If not then you will be retained in your MOS as an enlisted Soldier. That is my understanding of the situation. Don't feel defeated, if serving in the Army Guard as a Warrant is something you want to do, then just role with the "punches". You might be almost 30 but we enlist lots of folks your age with no prior service and they make basic with no problem. We can always use good people and remember nothing "truly" worth having ever comes easy.

Comment

Happy Brithday,

My understanding is that all Prior Service soldiers must to go BCT expect those that have completed Marine BCT or Army BCT.

Which makes sense. Cause Navy BCT sure ain't BCT.

Comment

Yep...WTC is gone.

I've met other former AF folks. One I went to AIT with, another is in my unit. Both have adjusted quite well to the Guard. One even says the Guard is easier (yes he said that) than the Air Force. But as others have stated already...any Army training you'll get will help you adjust to the Guard way of life. The rest you'll pick up from new friends you make, your cadre, or by simple observation. Good luck. I'm sure you feel great about starting what you want to be doing now.

Comment

I spoke to the OSM and the recruiter tonight on the way home from work and both verified that I will not need to attend BCT right now with how the NG is needing warrant officers. They have opened recruiting to other branches and if a member of another branch has been accepted by the proponent school, they will cross over, begin to drill, and piece together their formal packet. I asked multiple times and they verified this. Just like if I were to go to OCS, I would not be required to attend BCT, despite the fact WTC is gone.

Comment

Since you will be heading to Gordon. Who knows we may be seeing each other in the same courses along the way. I also will be attending WOCS and 3rd phase after for 250N (255N). One thing I will tell you that has shocked the heck out of me, is the AIT students have no respect for any soldiers, regardless of rank. So don't expect to see any squared away kids. You are not to interact with them at all but I could not help myself last August when I saw a group not call themselves to attention when an officer walked by. They just ignored the rank completely. That deserved a quick bark. 2nd time was when I saw a bunch of them laying on the grass waiting to take a bus to class. Which also shocked me. I thought AIT students were to march to school. But times change. So again, just don't expect any greetings of the day or respect when you pass them in the PX.

Comment

Working...
                      X