X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some prior-service vets must attend basic again

I'm working on getting the actual memorandum that came down about this, but the time in between prior service and re-enlisting does not matter when it comes to BCT. In other words, a PS applicant that has been out for over 10 years won't have to attend BCT again providing they already attended the Marine Corps or Army BCT and are looking to enlist in the National Guard. Now, it's my understanding that this is not the case for Active Duty. I think it's 10 years for PS going this route, but would encourage getting that verified as I"m not as versed with AD.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      I'm working on getting the actual memorandum that came down about this, but the time in between prior service and re-enlisting does not matter when it comes to BCT. In other words, a PS applicant that has been out for over 10 years won't have to attend BCT again providing they already attended the Marine Corps or Army BCT and are looking to enlist in the National Guard. Now, it's my understanding that this is not the case for Active Duty. I think it's 10 years for PS going this route, but would encourage getting that verified as I"m not as versed with AD.
      Thanks that is what I thought. Wish the military could make things more clear - haha ya right :-)

Comment

The Active Duty Army recruiters told me as an ex-Security Forces member I would have to do BCT regardless of the new rule, but the MDNG recruiter is honoring the new rule... odd but true

Comment

For fear of stating the obvious, I interpret the fourth bullet point to mean if a Soldier completed BCT, lets say at Ft. Sill 20 years ago and separated from AD 10 years ago, does NOT have to attend BCT again, if reenlisting in the NG or AR. Since the below bullet states "..regardless of the length of their break in service..", this doesn't appear to apply for former Army Soldiers. Does anyone read this differently?

Thanks.

• Prior-service personnel entering the Army National Guard or Army Reserve will go straight to their unit of assignment, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police.
          Last edited by Mike; November 17th, 2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            For fear of stating the obvious, I interpret the fourth bullet point to mean if a Soldier completed BCT, lets say at Ft. Sill 20 years ago and separated from AD 10 years ago, does NOT have to attend BCT again, if reenlisting in the NG or AR. Since the below bullet states "..regardless of the length of their break in service..", this doesn't appear to apply for former Army Soldiers. Does anyone read this differently?

Thanks.

• Prior-service personnel entering the Army National Guard or Army Reserve will go straight to their unit of assignment, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police.

How does it not apply to former Army soldiers? "if they have completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police"... then you don't have to do basic again if you are looking to reenlist into the Army National Guard or Army Reserves.

Comment

Since Army/Guard/Reserves all attend the same BCT, you're correct.

Comment

@Robinpug06--You're absolutely right. I realize how my post read rather than what I was trying to say.

I included the Directive but I suspect this is what most of us have seen it. As is the norm, it could have been written clearer to prevent mis-interpretations but here it is.

http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/ad2011_02.pdf

Comment

Working...
                X