X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some prior-service vets must attend basic again

How would you compare Army BCT to Great Lakes? Did you find yourself in leadership positions more often than IET soldiers? Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
      Army Times article dated 20 Mar 2011

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/0...-again-032011/

Those staying out for three years are targeted, the Army says
      By Jim Tice - Staff writer
      Posted : Sunday Mar 20, 2011 10:01:50 EDT
      <form id="hidden"><input id="headline" value="Some prior-service vets must attend basic again" type="hidden"><input id="url" value="http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/03/army-some-prior-service-vets-must-attend-basic-again-032011/" type="hidden"></form>
      Soldiers who get out and come back into the Army will have to go to basic training again if they stay out for three years or more.
      That is among the Army’s new policies for the initial entry training of prior-service soldiers entering the active Army, Army National Guard and Army Reserve.
      Policy Directive 2011-02, approved by Army Secretary John McHugh on Feb. 3, requires that Basic Combat Training or One Station Unit Training are the only courses authorized for transitioning former service members into the active and reserve components.
      Each year, prior-service accessions account for large numbers of soldiers entering the force. For example, in fiscal 2010, 4,551 prior-service personnel entered the active Army and 3,887 entered the Army Reserve, according to Recruiting Command spokesman Douglas Smith.
      Program suspended Jan. 1

The four-week Warrior Transition Course, established six years ago to support the Blue-to-Green program for transitioning Air Force and sea services personnel into the Army, was suspended Jan. 1.
      Here is a summary of policy changes to be included in revisions of Army Regulations 350-1 (Army Training and Leader Development) and 601-210 (Active and Reserve Components Enlistment Program):
      • Prior-service members entering the active Army with more than a three-year break in service must attend basic training and military occupational specialty training before moving to their first unit of assignment.
      • Prior-service members entering the active Army with less than a three-year break in service are not required to attend BCT if they previously completed Army or Marine Corps basic, or training for Air Force or Navy special operations forces, or Air Force security police.
      • Prior-service personnel from the Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard entering the active Army or reserve components must attend BCT, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have not attended Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police.
      • Prior-service personnel entering the Army National Guard or Army Reserve will go straight to their unit of assignment, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police.
      Is there an age limit to go active duty, if you are prior service?

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSoldier View Post
        Is there an age limit to go active duty, if you are prior service?
        Prior Service personnel enlisting into the Regular Army may enter active duty after the age of 35, if otherwise eligible based on prior Active or Reserve service com****tion. Regular Army enlistees must be eligible for regular retirement by age 62.

Comment

Thank God I only had to go through the Warrior Transition Course in 2007. If I had to do Army BCT, I may not have come back in. BTW I'm prior Air Force/Air Guard, Tsgt/E-6. Came back in as a Sgt/E-5

Comment

I didn't want to start a new thread. I'm prior service Army - 11B, out 10+ years. I was talking to a recruiter today and I swear he said I'd have to redo Basic or AIT. He had a thick accent and he was talking and thinking aloud. Anyway, we're meeting up next week so I'll find out for sure when I sit down and discuss my options. In the meantime, could anyone confirm/deny/clarify his statement. I know things have been changing.

Comment

Originally posted by runner View Post
              I didn't want to start a new thread. I'm prior service Army - 11B, out 10+ years. I was talking to a recruiter today and I swear he said I'd have to redo Basic or AIT. He had a thick accent and he was talking and thinking aloud. Anyway, we're meeting up next week so I'll find out for sure when I sit down and discuss my options. In the meantime, could anyone confirm/deny/clarify his statement. I know things have been changing.
              Army Directive 2011-02 (Initial Entry Training for Prior Service Personnel)

4. Prior service personnel entering the Reserve Components (RC) (Army National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve) will go straight to their RC unit regardless of the length of their break in service if they:

Completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or Completed training for Air Force or Navy Special Operations Forces, or Air Force Security Forces (Police).
              Last edited by SF Hunter; September 12th, 2013, 01:28 PM.

Comment

I'm 42 with 13 yrs prior service and I'm going to basic training in October as an E-5. It's wild. I'm just going with the flow. It's like a dream come true for me. We older types are lucky we got back in so we need to bring the leadership, the PT, the balls and the guts. Hooah dammit.
                Last edited by priorsvcdude; July 30th, 2012, 08:21 PM.

Comment

thanks a lot for this post. i came here through google.

Comment

I know this is an old post but...
                    My BF is trying to get clarification on this too and even the recruiter is finding it difficult to get a straight answer. He has heard after a break in 7 years and after a break in 10 years - you have to go through basic again, he has heard if you went through Army or Marine basic at any time regardless of break in service then you don't have to go through basic again.
                    If anyone gets a definitive maybe even with the directive number let us confused people know :-)

Comment

Some prior-service vets must attend basic again

Those staying out for three years are targeted, the Army says
                      By Jim Tice - Staff writer
                      Posted : Sunday Mar 20, 2011 10:01:50 EDT

Soldiers who get out and come back into the Army will have to go to basic training again if they stay out for three years or more.

That is among the Army’s new policies for the initial entry training of prior-service soldiers entering the active Army, Army National Guard and Army Reserve.

Policy Directive 2011-02, approved by Army Secretary John McHugh on Feb. 3, requires that Basic Combat Training or One Station Unit Training are the only courses authorized for transitioning former service members into the active and reserve components.

Each year, prior-service accessions account for large numbers of soldiers entering the force. For example, in fiscal 2010, 4,551 prior-service personnel entered the active Army and 3,887 entered the Army Reserve, according to Recruiting Command spokesman Douglas Smith.

Program suspended Jan. 1
                      The four-week Warrior Transition Course, established six years ago to support the Blue-to-Green program for transitioning Air Force and sea services personnel into the Army, was suspended Jan. 1.

Here is a summary of policy changes to be included in revisions of Army Regulations 350-1 (Army Training and Leader Development) and 601-210 (Active and Reserve Components Enlistment Program):

• Prior-service members entering the active Army with more than a three-year break in service must attend basic training and military occupational specialty training before moving to their first unit of assignment.

• Prior-service members entering the active Army with less than a three-year break in service are not required to attend BCT if they previously completed Army or Marine Corps basic, or training for Air Force or Navy special operations forces, or Air Force security police.

• Prior-service personnel from the Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard entering the active Army or reserve components must attend BCT, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have not attended Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police.

• Prior-service personnel entering the Army National Guard or Army Reserve will go straight to their unit of assignment, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police.

But now i'll spend an hour looking to see if this has been updated. lol No I wont but it may have been updated, have to google the directive # probably with the year 2012 behind it and see what comes up.

Comment

Thanks Becky - I am trying to find a new one also because according to that one he does not have to go through basic again because he went through Army basic and is going into the Guard but the recruiter said last he heard if it was over a certain amount a years it doesn't matter what basic you went through but he can't seem to get clarification on that either.

Comment

I believe a recruiter here in Iowa referenced 7 or 10 years also. However, I cannot find that email. According to that text, as long as you entering the Guard.....he should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                            I believe a recruiter here in Iowa referenced 7 or 10 years also. However, I cannot find that email.

According to that text, as long as you entering the Guard.....you should be fine.
                            So confusing - the above directive says "• Prior-service personnel entering the Army National Guard or Army Reserve will go straight to their unit of assignment, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police."
                            So that must have changed since 2011 but so far I have had no luck finding an update!

Comment

I've looked a little bit and havent found anything. I havent searched in ALARACTs because I hate them. lol

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                                So confusing - the above directive says "• Prior-service personnel entering the Army National Guard or Army Reserve will go straight to their unit of assignment, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police."
                                So that must have changed since 2011 but so far I have had no luck finding an update!
                                I emailed that recruiter about it back in 2011. Wish I could tell you for sure, but I am not aware of any major updates.

Comment

Working...
                                X