X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some prior-service vets must attend basic again

Welp, looks like I was going to join the Guard. Not now.

Comment

Possible workaround: enlist NG and NOT have to do basic, then try to put in for transfer to Active. Any thoughts?

Comment

The confusing wording comes from the article, not the regs.

Comment

I will forward this to the recruiter but I think he is to busy playing computer games to care.

I see how it is worded, the confusion comes from my recruiter being so insistent and that I was assuming the NG and active component would have the same standards. Bad on me assuming the military would make sense. So they would send a former 82nd guy, an E-5 team/squad leader who got out in 2007 with 3 combat tours, possibly a bronze star or silver star etc. to boot camp with a bunch of fresh recruits? It is not fair to the new recruits, the former NCO or the drill instructors. Very disrespectful! I just don't get it for NG or Active Army.

Thanks for all of the replies helping me with my reading comprehension.

Comment

I would go back to boot camp, then again, I thought Marine Corps boot camp was pretty fun. I guess I’m just a glutton for **********.

Comment

im not going to lie im going because of the money i mean yea i know i get yelled at again and smoked but 2 months vs 1 month full ad pay? got to find the silver lining in everything

Comment

Really? How about this punish mint.

Comment

I didn't quite care for reclassing with fresh out of basic soldiers... I never understood why this training wasn't segregated. The cadre instilled in these youngins that "we are all students, equals"... boloney!

Comment

We were never treated/considered as equals to the reclass soldiers (marines/sailors/soldiers) in our cycle. We were told not to speak or interact with them, they always sat together in the back of class, they stood behind our formation, they ate at their own DFAC, and slept in their own barracks. They took the same classes as us, but they did slightly different things than we did at times with training too. It could be different since we were in OSUT, but we were basically told from day one of AIT that they were better than us, and we were still real low on the totem pole.

Comment

RE: Former Active Duty Enlisted Veteran Status Remembers Prior Service In Basic July 2001 cycle.

OIF I
                      OIF II
                      77F/92F Fuel Handler
                      Veteran Prior Service Enlisted former E-4

I am not a recruiter,nor NCO nor cadre check up on anyone here, just going on my memory here, do not try and use this information at your home station.

We had a prior service E-6 Staff Sargent who came off active duty to return home to New York City for a year and reenlist. He was inspirational to a lot of us new recruits in the sense that he showed us we had to take resposibility for barracks clean up and listen for instructions and act on those instructions given out by the cadre and drill sargents. He never once complained about being a Non Commisioned officer having to repeat basic. He was in my opinion, a true professional, because of this. As an E-4 at the end of my enlistment, I could call a cadance, give PT, write up a preventitve checks and service on a vehicle, order vehicle and pump parts using National Stock Numbers, follow through on prioritized tasks to completion, preform guard duties. If I had to repeat basic at age 41, I would, my birthday is in a few months-chances are this forum is the only thing I will have to see some form of duty. Although I would rather come back to the military in the National Guard and would like another job than Fueler. I realize there may be no other job to do. I would repeat basic if asked to do so providing that the Drill Sargents and cadre would not ask me to be a Platoon guide or center of attention. If a person is asked to repeat basic why not strike a deal not to be revealed as an NCO if basic has changed profoundly since the Vietnam era style of basic why not keep a low profile and learn? They used to give bonuses to those who would repeat basic training and not reveal they were prior service.

Comment

im going to basic 22 aug 11 and i plan on keeping my mouth shut and just doing what i need to in order to get thru with as few hiccups as possible because i already know the quickest way thru and i mean if i can help get the unit threw with suggestions and helping out in small ways sure but to be a leader not saying that i cant and wouldn't do it if tasked but i would rather learn a second time thru and learn the army's way (prior air force)

Comment

I'm prior service Navy, E4, and will be attending BCT this summer. Are there any prior service soldiers who have gone through Army BCT recently? I've been reading the TRADOC 350-6, and it states that prior service are not considered IET soldiers, and are housed separately...IET soldiers in one bay, and prior service soldiers in another. Is this for all prior service, or just NCOs? I asked my recruiter, but he wasn't sure. Also, I was wondering if I should bring the ribbons I have been awarded with me to BCT for uniform inspections/graduation etc? Or will I have to buy them at the PX?
                          Thank you for your input!!!

Comment

Has anyone heard about prior service E5 being reduced to E4 during basic and then returning to E5 after? If so, would the pay change to E4 also? I've tried to find a regulation on this but haven't seen one.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisco91B View Post
                              I'm prior service Navy, E4, and will be attending BCT this summer. Are there any prior service soldiers who have gone through Army BCT recently? I've been reading the TRADOC 350-6, and it states that prior service are not considered IET soldiers, and are housed separately...IET soldiers in one bay, and prior service soldiers in another. Is this for all prior service, or just NCOs? I asked my recruiter, but he wasn't sure. Also, I was wondering if I should bring the ribbons I have been awarded with me to BCT for uniform inspections/graduation etc? Or will I have to buy them at the PX?
                              Thank you for your input!!!
                              You can wear the ribbons that you have earned but I suggest you buy new ones that are inspection ready.

Comment

Im prior service Navy and just completed BCT 21Apr11 the only prior's that were house seperate were e-5 and above and no they did not have to drop down to e-4 I was told that if you changed MOS and held e-5 or above you would have to go before a board to keep that grade or be dropped to e-4 but I can tell you there were alot of e-4 priors there and we all got smoked the same, but the DS's did hold us to a higher standard then the IET guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X