X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some prior-service vets must attend basic again

My apologies as well for the thread drift.

Comment

Someone explain to me the logic behind sending them to BCT versus the WCT program? Especially in a time when the military needs to be smarter about it's spending.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
        Someone explain to me the logic behind sending them to BCT versus the WCT program? Especially in a time when the military needs to be smarter about it's spending.
        Great question Stevelord. I guess with removing the training facility at WTC and closing it down and sending everyone to a centralize location will save funds. I think you are saying that the extra weeks of training at BCT will have incur a greater cost than the 4 to 5 weeks at WTC.

I do not know the statistics of attrition of prior service re-enlistees. Meaning the ones who get a second chance and get discharged before their enlistment is up. There was a prior-service member at my last unit that had failure to adapt issues; even though he served an enlistment before in Germany with 1st AD. I do not know if that played a factor in the new policy.

An excellent question to open up some reasonable answers.
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; March 22nd, 2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 0844 View Post
          I agree. There was a lot of resentment in my unit when I was on AD in the Marines because so few people were written up for awards and there seemed to be a lot of unrelated criteria that was considered when recommending someone for an award. I knew one lance corporal that was literally a genious (he'd been tested) and could calculate fire mission data in his head. He was just about the most outstanding artillery fire direction controller I've ever seen. He even worked with a contractor from Raytheon to improve the AFATDS software and issue a new version. His section chief wrote him up for a NAM but it was denied because he didn't have a 1st class PFT.

Now, in the Guard, I've heard my 1stSgt constantly telling us NCOs to recognize the work our soldiers do and write them up for it. Even if the soldier doesn't get an award, they'll often get a letter of appreciation or a unit coin, but at least they know that their hard work was noticed and appreciated. It's a good system.
          I'm all too familiar with the uneven, unfair and unjust ways in which awards are given. When I was a Navy submariner, I was on a weapons handling team that set new records in reload times. After 9/11 we popped off Tomahawks into Afghanistan in time intervals faster than achieved by anyone in naval history, and procedural manuals were even re-written as a result.

What did I get for my efforts? Diddley-squat, because I was told that NAMs were for E-5 and above and I was just an E-4.
          Soon afterwards an E-4 cook got a NAM. What'd he do? He could fix a bowl of some mighty tasty Wicked Chicken.

Comment

Any prior service looking for info on how you will be treated at basic should google Tradoc 350-6. There is an updated one as of 28 Jan 2011.

Comment

I was aware of the prior service having to attend BCT again but I am running into another issue currently. I am working on becoming a Warrant officer and have been going to http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant daily for information and guidance. I have had a PDP submitted off to the school house for approval, however I am running into the issue of now if it is approved having to attend BCT again. I was under the impressions that inter service transfers could move over to the army guard and then attend the 6 week WOCS program. If I am not accepted into the school, which I cant imagine happening, I was going to attend OCS. I am now being told that I would also have to attend BCT to enlist into the OCS option as well. I am hitting dead ends with the recruiter and am looking for some information where I can direct him to. any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comment

What's your background?

-Prior-service personnel entering the Army National Guard or Army Reserve will go straight to their unit of assignment, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police.
                Last edited by SteveLord; March 30th, 2011, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I see by your response you feel that prior Army or NG do not need to attend boot camp. My recruiter is telling me different.

I am prior NG, 12 years of service, I am a combat vet, team/squad leader, I was in an E-6 slot when I was discharged in 2007. I want to switch to a non-combat arms MOS which is why I think I have been getting the run around. My recruiter is telling me I have to drop to E-4 and go to boot camp. So, he wants to send an NCO with a CIB to boot camp to learn about basic combat...WTF! No drill command is going to want me at boot camp, I would be absolute poison. I am going to tell this dud to send me and see how far it goes, I'm assuming if he sends me I end up in some Captain or Major's office on day one and he gets canned but who knows anymore.

Either my recruiter is on crack or the Army is on crack...which is it?

Comment

Anyway, I called my recruiter again today and he insists that I have to go to boot camp and lose my E-5 rank.

Comment

It's not just how I feel, it's the text right from that article, which is less than 2 weeks old. The 3yr rule is if you were to join the ACTIVE Army. I called into the R&R office at Camp Dodge here, and was told the same thing about NOT having to redo it.

Last edited by SteveLord; March 31st, 2011, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3434seel View Post
                        I see by your response you feel that prior Army or NG do not need to attend boot camp. My recruiter is telling me different.

I am prior NG, 12 years of service, I am a combat vet, team/squad leader, I was in an E-6 slot when I was discharged in 2007. I want to switch to a non-combat arms MOS which is why I think I have been getting the run around. My recruiter is telling me I have to drop to E-4 and go to boot camp. So, he wants to send an NCO with a CIB to boot camp to learn about basic combat...WTF! No drill command is going to want me at boot camp, I would be absolute poison. I am going to tell this dud to send me and see how far it goes, I'm assuming if he sends me I end up in some Captain or Major's office on day one and he gets canned but who knows anymore.

Either my recruiter is on crack or the Army is on crack...which is it?
                        This is so amazing that it seems unbelievable. Have him check with the Guard rep at MEPS or someone at STARC.

Comment

The wording in the article in contradictory. It first states that if you have a three year break you do have to go then it says if you already have Army or Marine boot camp you report directly to your duty station. The Army needs to pull its head out from it's third point of contact.

Comment

The wording in the article in contradictory. It first states that if you have a three year break you do have to go then it says if you already have Army or Marine boot camp you report directly to your duty station. The Army needs to pull its head out from it's third point of contact.
                            Not really,

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                            Army Times article dated 20 Mar 2011
                            http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/0...-again-032011/

Prior-service members entering the active Army with more than a three-year break in service must attend basic training and military occupational specialty training before moving to their first unit of assignment.

Prior-service personnel entering the Army National Guard or Army Reserve will go straight to their unit of assignment, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police.
                            Basically if you are prior service Army/Marines with more then a 3 year break and want to join as an Active duty soldier then yes you will re-do basic. BUT if you are prior service Army/Marines and join the National Guard or Reserves then you do not re-do basic.

Comment

Show this post to your recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                                Not really,

Basically if you are prior service Army/Marines with more then a 3 year break and want to join as an Active duty soldier then yes you will re-do basic. BUT if you are prior service Army/Marines and join the National Guard or Reserves then you do not re-do basic.

3434seel, I pointed this out earlier...remember?

But I agree, at first glance...it does appear confusing.

Comment

Working...
                                X