• Show
Clear All

• Some prior-service vets must attend basic again

Army Times article dated 20 Mar 2011

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/0...-again-032011/

Those staying out for three years are targeted, the Army says
    By Jim Tice - Staff writer
    Posted : Sunday Mar 20, 2011 10:01:50 EDT
    <form id="hidden"><input id="headline" value="Some prior-service vets must attend basic again" type="hidden"><input id="url" value="http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/03/army-some-prior-service-vets-must-attend-basic-again-032011/" type="hidden"></form>
    Soldiers who get out and come back into the Army will have to go to basic training again if they stay out for three years or more.
    That is among the Army’s new policies for the initial entry training of prior-service soldiers entering the active Army, Army National Guard and Army Reserve.
    Policy Directive 2011-02, approved by Army Secretary John McHugh on Feb. 3, requires that Basic Combat Training or One Station Unit Training are the only courses authorized for transitioning former service members into the active and reserve components.
    Each year, prior-service accessions account for large numbers of soldiers entering the force. For example, in fiscal 2010, 4,551 prior-service personnel entered the active Army and 3,887 entered the Army Reserve, according to Recruiting Command spokesman Douglas Smith.
    Program suspended Jan. 1

The four-week Warrior Transition Course, established six years ago to support the Blue-to-Green program for transitioning Air Force and sea services personnel into the Army, was suspended Jan. 1.
    Here is a summary of policy changes to be included in revisions of Army Regulations 350-1 (Army Training and Leader Development) and 601-210 (Active and Reserve Components Enlistment Program):
    • Prior-service members entering the active Army with more than a three-year break in service must attend basic training and military occupational specialty training before moving to their first unit of assignment.
    • Prior-service members entering the active Army with less than a three-year break in service are not required to attend BCT if they previously completed Army or Marine Corps basic, or training for Air Force or Navy special operations forces, or Air Force security police.
    • Prior-service personnel from the Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard entering the active Army or reserve components must attend BCT, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have not attended Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police.
    • Prior-service personnel entering the Army National Guard or Army Reserve will go straight to their unit of assignment, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police.

Re: Some prior-service vets must attend basic again

Does that mean that they start over at E-1?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarynickname View Post
      Does that mean that they start over at E-1?
      No...not back to E1

Comment

So in some cases there could be E-5's going back to basic training getting treated like an E-1 all over again? Not a good system. IMO.

Comment

This is pretty absurd. Hypothetically, couldn't you have an E-6 or above with a 3+ year break going through BCT again? Someone that outranks a DS? That just seems strange, but I'm sure there are waivers or something available for those situations.

Comment

I have an E5 that is shipping out for basic training in 2 weeks.

Comment

I went to boot camp with a prior service E-5. Dude walked across the parade deck with jump wings and a STACK of ribbons.

Comment

Originally posted by 0844 View Post
                I went to boot camp with a prior service E-5. Dude walked across the parade deck with jump wings and a STACK of ribbons.
                As a former-marine, I guess you can attest to anything more than three ribbons is considered a stack. I look at some senior Airmen and they have more ribbons than I.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                  As a former-marine, I guess you can attest to anything more than three ribbons is considered a stack. I look at some senior Airmen and they have more ribbons than I.
                  Amen bro....My daughter is a SSGT security forces USAF (5 yrs) and looks like "audie murphy" in class A's. In fairness she has been deployed to both theaters and has engaged the enemy in firefights. I have seen airman graduate from BMT with 3-4 ribbons after 6 weeks of indoc...

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC View Post
                    Amen bro....My daughter is a SSGT security forces USAF (5 yrs) and looks like "audie murphy" in class A's. In fairness she has been deployed to both theaters and has engaged the enemy in firefights. I have seen airman graduate from BMT with 3-4 ribbons after 6 weeks of indoc...
                    That is truly amazing but again, I am far from surprised. BTW, God bless your daughter for her service.

Comment

Lol, so true. It took me 3 years to get 3 ribbons, and the third was just the "I didn't get caught" Medal. They're so stingy with NAMs in the Corps.

Comment

Lol, so true. It took me 3 years to get 3 ribbons, and the third was just the "I didn't get caught" Medal. They're so stingy with NAMs in the Corps.
                        I also walked away with 3 ribbons after 4 years of AD. when I joined the Guard I was basically handed 2 more and a star for my National Defense.

I will say that I think that the Army has the best system when it comes to awards. They don't give them away like the AF, which IMO devalues them. But at the same time they are not as stingy as the Corps, which allows leaders to show their appreciation to the guys for hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                          I also walked away with 3 ribbons after 4 years of AD. when I joined the Guard I was basically handed 2 more and a star for my National Defense.

I will say that I think that the Army has the best system when it comes to awards. They don't give them away like the AF, which IMO devalues them. But at the same time they are not as stingy as the Corps, which allows leaders to show their appreciation to the guys for hard work.
                          I agree. There was a lot of resentment in my unit when I was on AD in the Marines because so few people were written up for awards and there seemed to be a lot of unrelated criteria that was considered when recommending someone for an award. I knew one lance corporal that was literally a genious (he'd been tested) and could calculate fire mission data in his head. He was just about the most outstanding artillery fire direction controller I've ever seen. He even worked with a contractor from Raytheon to improve the AFATDS software and issue a new version. His section chief wrote him up for a NAM but it was denied because he didn't have a 1st class PFT.

Now, in the Guard, I've heard my 1stSgt constantly telling us NCOs to recognize the work our soldiers do and write them up for it. Even if the soldier doesn't get an award, they'll often get a letter of appreciation or a unit coin, but at least they know that their hard work was noticed and appreciated. It's a good system.

Comment

I His section chief wrote him up for a NAM but it was denied because he didn't have a 1st class PFT.
                            If that was the reason for a denial, then that is extremely strict to receive an achievement medal. I have known soldiers receive an impact AAM for a week's exercise.

I have seen E-5s receive a Meritorious Service Medal downrange for doing one good thing outside their MOS and have average PT scores.

My unit has a weekly awards boards to ensure that soldiers get the awards they are deserved and the vetting process has assisted our Commander extremely. It removes the rubber stamp from the equation.

Different service, different criteria and I apologize for getting off-topic.

Comment

If that was the reason for a denial, then that is extremely strict to receive an achievement medal. I have known soldiers receive an impact AAM for a week's exercise.

I have seen E-5s receive a Meritorious Service Medal downrange for doing one good thing outside their MOS and have average PT scores.

My unit has a weekly awards boards to ensure that soldiers get the awards they are deserved and the vetting process has assisted our Commander extremely. It removes the rubber stamp from the equation.

Different service, different criteria and I apologize for getting off-topic.

Lets stay on topic.

For the OP , this is nothing new that the Army has not done before.

This was the same rules and standards we had 8 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X