X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on e-5 promotion

I was told the guard does not do promotion boards...is that for all units or does some units strive for a higher standard..."can't take away from the policy but can add to"

Re: Question on e-5 promotion

No...it's simply a promotion packet that is turned in and then reviewed and then you are put onto a promotion list based off your points. But it's not like active duty, there is not a certain point level it takes to be promoted. They promote based on vacancies and take from the top of the list first and work their way down until there are no vacancies left.

Comment

Originally posted by Fletcher Westbrook View Post
      I was told the guard does not do promotion boards...is that for all units or does some units strive for a higher standard..."can't take away from the policy but can add to"
      They do but at the E-4/E-5 level its not the same as the active component semi-centralized promotion board system that the requirement is to appear before board members to get recommended and promotable. RSP NCO summed it up.

You are competing against all the eligible soldiers of your MOS in your State not Army wide. This is annual compared to monthly active component. When the list comes out, you will know what number you are on. When I was number one on the list, there were no E-6 slots in my unit, so I was asked if I wanted to go 60 miles north to fill one. If I declined, I was moved to the bottom of the list. If not, I transferred and got promoted.

Might be different now and a current Guardsman will definitely shed some light.

Comment

thank you for the input...i knew the active duty stuff, but i am trying to learn the guard ways...just want to have my ducks in a row when the time comes...i did a one year enlistment to see if the guard was for me...i know i will have to have longer then that to become eligible for a promotion...also they changed my date of rank...it was previously 1jan99...when could i be eligible for promotion...is it 12 months TIG

Comment

In my state we conduct an actual promotion board for E-5. Class A's sitting infront of a few 1SG's and a CSM. From E-6 to E-9 it is a paper board. There is also a point cutoff in my state to get promoted. You could be 1st in your MOS but not get promoted because you didn't make the cutoff. That actually happend to me a few years ago.
          Last edited by Explosive Hazard; March 8th, 2011, 09:17 AM.

Comment

After your EPS packet is turned in, how long before the new list is released? Also, who holds these lists? The 1SG, PSG?

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              You are competing against all the eligible soldiers of your MOS in your State not Army wide. This is annual compared to monthly active component. When the list comes out, you will know what number you are on. When I was number one on the list, there were no E-6 slots in my unit, so I was asked if I wanted to go 60 miles north to fill one. If I declined, I was moved to the bottom of the list. If not, I transferred and got promoted.

Might be different now and a current Guardsman will definitely shed some light.
              They still do it that way. My Section Sergeant was an E5 but got replaced by an E6 who just transferred and was only promoted because he transferred.

Comment

You now have to choose the mileage you are willing to travel to be promoted when you do your worksheet. If you are selected, you are automatically transferred and promoted. You aren't given the choice anymore. You make the choice when you complete your worksheet.

Comment

It really depends on the state then because in terms of promotion in my state you choose how far you are willing to travel to get promoted but you can turn down an offer if you don't want to be in that unit. As soon as the promotion lists is published units start making calls and making offers to the top soldiers.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                    It really depends on the state then because in terms of promotion in my state you choose how far you are willing to travel to get promoted but you can turn down an offer if you don't want to be in that unit. As soon as the promotion lists is published units start making calls and making offers to the top soldiers.
                    guess that is the case. I like the way we do it here, it speeds the process along quite considerably.

Comment

is the TIG 12 months from 4 to 5

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
                        They still do it that way. My Section Sergeant was an E5 but got replaced by an E6 who just transferred and was only promoted because he transferred.
                        I know this is an old thread, but I ran across this while searching for something else and need to provide an on-the-spot correction here: That staff sergeant that replaced your sergeant wasn't "only promoted because he transferred." He earned that promotion by being selected for it based on his position on the TPL, placing him higher on the statewide list than his peers.

Your comment came off as slightly flippant and disrespectful. Since I am in the exact same position as your SSG, I believe it is important to correct this misconception from wherever it eminates. You are not the first one I have heard voice this attitude and I think it is important that young soldiers completely understand the process so they have a greater appreciation for the soldier standing at the front of the formation, being promoted upon arrival at their new unit. The reason they are promoted immediately upon transfer to a different unit is because they are FILLING A VACANCY IN THAT UNIT AND HAVE BEEN EPS SELECTED FROM THE TPL and they EARNED IT by being the BEST AT THEIR JOB. Also, they must fill that position for at least one year before they may transfer anywhere else, so it is fair to the soldier that their time filling that slot begin upon their arrival at the unit.

Ok?

25C

Comment

"best at their job"............................................

Since you resurected a dinosaur thread, let me go ahead and toss in the BS Flag on that statement. If there is one thing our promotion system doesn't do, it is access a persons technical compentancy in their respected MOS. You get a whole lot of points for ARCOMS and a high PT score which is exciting and all, but when it comes down to it, you need to know what the heck you are doing. There is nothing more frustrating then watching those NCO's with the mentality that if they just make their troops wear their Kevlar at the most ridiciulous times and score a 300 on the pt test that they are the danm NCO of the year.

There is a significant chance that E-5 is BETTER THEN YOU at your job. You just had more points, most of which you get for just hanging around long enough to accumulate.
                          Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; January 4th, 2012, 03:30 AM.

Comment

While I appreciate 25C's post regarding the explanation of being promoted off the list and people not understanding that, but I was going to say the same thing paralegal just said. The EPS does not mean you are better at your job at all. Simply having a college degree can put you way ahead of someone that has been doing the MOS for years.

Yes people need to understand the promotion system, but no it does not mean you are the most job qualified person.

Comment

Working...
                            X