X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Service E5 0351 USMCR Transferring to ARNG

I'm about to complete/sign my contract with the ARNG. I have 11 years prior service in USMCR as an E5 0351 Antiarmor Assaultman. If your not familiar with this MOS, an 0351 encompasses the following fields; Infantryman, Dragon, Javelin, SMAW and Demolitions. I've also earned a bachelors degree in computer science. Before I sign on the dotted line, can anyone out there provide me with an ARNG MOS that is somewhat similar? I've seen the ARNG internet and recruiter MOS data, but was hoping on some insider information that could help me make a better informed decision that would fit my military background, thank you.

Re: Prior Service E5 0351 USMCR Transferring to ARNG

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/11x.htm

Here you go.

Comment

Thanks for the link, it narrows things down quite a bit. What is organic to an ARNG Cavalry unit? Are there Psychological Operation Units in the ARNG or only Army Reserve?

Comment

Originally posted by Antiarmor1 View Post
        Thanks for the link, it narrows things down quite a bit. What is organic to an ARNG Cavalry unit? Are there Psychological Operation Units in the ARNG or only Army Reserve?
        Psyops is only available in the Reserves and Active Duty (Military Information Support Group)

Comment

What are the major differences between serving in an Infantry or Cavalry unit? What are some pros and cons between the two? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Antiarmor1 View Post
            I'm about to complete/sign my contract with the ARNG. I have 11 years prior service in USMCR as an E5 0351 Antiarmor Assaultman. If your not familiar with this MOS, an 0351 encompasses the following fields; Infantryman, Dragon, Javelin, SMAW and Demolitions. I've also earned a bachelors degree in computer science. Before I sign on the dotted line, can anyone out there provide me with an ARNG MOS that is somewhat similar? I've seen the ARNG internet and recruiter MOS data, but was hoping on some insider information that could help me make a better informed decision that would fit my military background, thank you.
            For a MOS that is kind of simiar, 12B(combat engineer) fits some of those lines. I'm in a Sapper company and we have soldiers who are trained on the Javelin, we do alot of demo and we perform infantry missions. So it is not an exact reflection of your old job but some of the elements are there. Alot of our breaching will also incorporate anti-armor. Do we get trained on where to specifically strike a tank? No, but I can tell you how much C4, TNT etc you would need to penetrate the armor depending on how thick it is. I can also tell you how much demo is needed to destroy the main gun depending on how big it is.

We also do some cool highspeedish stuff like river assault, bridge demo, and some air assault.

Comment

09S officer candidate.

Comment

Hoorah 51, I second the LT. Go OCS asap!
                Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                09S officer candidate.

Comment

I appreciate all of your input, it has really assisted me to decide where I can make a smooth transition and the best impact. 0351 somewhat mirrors a Combat Engineer, I'll inquire about billet vacancies and the nearest unit. Maybe once I get my foot in the door, I'll look into OCS or the WO program.

Comment

I appreciate your input. 0351 does somewhat mirror Combat Engineer. Looks like it would be a smooth transition where I could make the best impact. Iíll inquire about billet openings and locations. Once I get my foot in the door, maybe Iíll look into OCS or the WO program, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X