Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here from Delaware?

Hello all.

I'm prior service and have a few questions, some of which pertain specifically to Delaware. I appreciate any answers you can provide. I've been going back and forth with the decision to join the NG and your answers will help. I must say that all the "Hooah" soldiers on here is addictive. Maybe that's what I've been missing. Peer pressure but in a good way, you know.

1) Any DE recruiters here?

2) While Active Duty with Infantry units, since there was no real NBC threat, I was basically used as another 11B or commo, etc.. Can I expect the same if I join the NG? What will I be doing with my unit? Would I be babysitting Privates while they do "make work?"

3) If I stay NBC (was 54B, I think its 74D now) will my rank be stuck at E4/E5 at company or E6 at BN level? Currently E4. If so a change in MOS may be in order.

4) If I was to stay NBC, do I understand this correctly- I would not redo Basic, AIT, or the RSP I see listed now...I'd report directly to my unit?

5) Is the "try one" option available for Delaware?

6) Any NBC slots open in Delware?

7) I was married and living on post at Fort Drum when I got deployed. Now, if I get deployed, I have a mortgage, car payment, and child support to worry about. I'm currently working as a teacher, which doesn't pay much to begin with, but if I get activated I'm guessing I'd take a pay cut. Is getting deployed with the NG considered going active duty and would I collect BAH?

8) What are the options for joining the NG? Try one? 3 years? etc? And would I incur the same 8 year obligation as I did during my active duty enlistment if I join the NG?

9) Are there any bonuses available?

10) How soon after joining the NG could I begin training with my unit?

Thanks in advance for any responses,

-Mike

Re: Anyone here from Delaware?

Ok, can any one (From DE or not) answer questions #2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 or 10?

Comment

I'm pretty sure the answer to #7 is yes.

Comment

Originally posted by nbcguy View Post
        7) I was married and living on post at Fort Drum when I got deployed. Now, if I get deployed, I have a mortgage, car payment, and child support to worry about. I'm currently working as a teacher, which doesn't pay much to begin with, but if I get activated I'm guessing I'd take a pay cut. Is getting deployed with the NG considered going active duty and would I collect BAH?
        Mike, while deployed you will get BAH, if your paperwork is done correctly. Yes, deployment is Title 10.

Comment

I live about 5 minutes from Newark, but in PA. I can put you in touch with a really good recruiter in DE if you want. I almost joined down there.

You wont be re-doing basic/ait as prior service army. #7 is yes, you will get BAH if deployed or on active duty for whatever reason.

#10.. since you're prior service, it could be actually really quick. When I joined I was prior usaf and an 09S enlistment, which meant no warrior transition course, just straight to OCS. I swore in on 18 Feb, and 20 feb was my first drill and I reported to OCS after getting issued a set of ACUs.

Yours could be that quick

Comment

*edited

Nevermind, I misread something
            Last edited by HR NCO; January 14th, 2011, 12:40 PM.

Comment

you need to talk to a recruter homie

Comment

4) How long have you been out? This will determine if you need to re-do basic training again. If it has been more than 3 years break in service you may have to do basic again.

Comment

Originally posted by CW2 King View Post
                  4) How long have you been out? This will determine if you need to re-do basic training again. If it has been more than 3 years break in service you may have to do basic again.
                  Chief that policy only applies to prior service soldiers that want to get back on active duty.

Comment

Working...
                  X