X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Prior Experience OCS

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I am very interested in applying to OCS. My question is how does someone apply to OCS without prior experience and could I apply to OCS without going to basic?
    Background, College graduate, BA in Sociology/Criminal Justice. 25 years old.

Re: No Prior Experience OCS

You can enlist as an 09S, but you will have to enjoy some time at basic training prior to being allowed to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach28 View Post
      Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I am very interested in applying to OCS. My question is how does someone apply to OCS without prior experience and could I apply to OCS without going to basic?
      Background, College graduate, BA in Sociology/Criminal Justice. 25 years old.
      You cannot enlist directly into the National Guard as an officer. However, if you qualify, you could enlist for Officer Candidate School (OCS) (09S option) and attend OCS after basic combat training (BCT).

Comment

Ok then how would I go about trying to go O9S? and what are the qualifications to go to OCS?

Comment

To become an officer in the National Guard:

You must meet the Guard's general eligibility requirements
          You must have a four-year college degree*
          You must be a U.S. citizen
          You must be morally and medically qualified
          You must commission on or before your 42nd birthday
          You must have a 110 GT line score on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB), with a base score of 70 or higher

Comment

Originally posted by Zach28 View Post
            Ok then how would I go about trying to go O9S? and what are the qualifications to go to OCS?
            1- Go to your local recruiter and start talking to them.
            2- 90 college credits
            110 GT score on the ASVAB
            Graduate from Army basic
            This is just the basics, the recruiter and your states OSM (Officer Stregth Manager) will be your best point of contact. Plus use the search button, this topic has been discussed.

Comment

I believe you can apply for OCS with 60 college credits once you are already in the guard. I think they changed it last summer to 90 credits for it to be on your contract going in.

I have 60 credits and was told I could apply for OCS once I was done with AIT, is this correct? I have a GED, but I did a 92 on the ASVAB and my line scores are mostly in the 130's. I was told you only need 110 on GT for OCS and I got a 128.

It is not part of my current plan, but something I have been considering doing.
              Last edited by Major General Discharge; December 31st, 2011, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Major General Discharge View Post
                I believe you can apply for OCS with 60 college credits once you are already in the guard. I think they changed it last summer to 90 credits for it to be on your contract going in.

I have 60 credits and was told I could apply for OCS once I was done with AIT, is this correct? I have a GED, but I did a 92 on the ASVAB and my line scores are mostly in the 130's. I was told you only need 110 on GT for OCS and I got a 128.

It is not part of my current plan, but something I have been considering doing.
                It's state dependent. Here in Nevada you can enter the traditional OCS program with 60 semester hour credits but need 90 semester hour credits to commission.

Comment

I'm foolishly writing from memory and induction regulations change like baby diapers so keep that in mind.

1. You cannot attend Federal OCS without an accredited 4 year degree.
                  2. You cannot attend a state Accelerated OCS program without 90 college credits (the minimum in the reserve components to obtain a commission)
                  3. You might be able to START a traditional state OCS program with 60 credits but would need to have 90 completed prior to finishing the program 14 +/- months later.

Personally, I would recommend that you finish a degree and then pursue this option. Without sounding like a naysayer or being intentionally offensive; you apparently had at least some difficulties obtaining your high school diploma (personal/academic). If there was any potential that you would/could not finish your degree you would be unable to promote past 1LT, and ultimately reduced/removed due to not meeting education requirements. It's much easier just getting school done now, and doing the rest afterwards.

Comment

I'm foolishly writing from memory and induction regulations change like baby diapers so keep that in mind.

1. You cannot attend Federal OCS without an accredited 4 year degree.
                    2. You cannot attend a state Accelerated OCS program without 90 college credits (the minimum in the reserve components to obtain a commission)
                    3. You might be able to START a traditional state OCS program with 60 credits but would need to have 90 completed prior to finishing the program 14 +/- months later.

Personally, I would recommend that you finish a degree and then pursue this option. Without sounding like a naysayer or being intentionally offensive; you apparently had at least some difficulties obtaining your high school diploma (personal/academic). If there was any potential that you would/could not finish your degree you would be unable to promote past 1LT, and ultimately reduced/removed due to not meeting education requirements. It's much easier just getting school done now, and doing the rest afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                      It's state dependent. Here in Nevada you can enter the traditional OCS program with 60 semester hour credits but need 90 semester hour credits to commission.
                      It's the same for Michigan.

Comment

Where can I get contact info for the Florida OSM (Officer Stregth Manager). Also, is the max age 40 or 42 for a commission? Thanks.

Comment

SOPA must have blocked Google in FL.

http://www.floridaguard.army.mil/join/officer

Comment

Working...
                          X