Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accelerated vs Traditional (California)

This question is more related to officers who had been through the process.

I am a California 09s applicant and will be swearing in next week and go to basic in March 2012. After I passed my ASVAB GT requirement (scored 110+ on everything), I was interviewed by a 2nd LT for final approval as a 09s.

The LT informed me that I may not get the federal accelerated OCS because I am not a prior service, and I would most likely get the 18 months traditional OCS to slowly learn to be an officer. Though I can understand this reason, I am confident I will do well in accelerated. Now, if I was to get the 18 months training, what are my chances to appeal and transfer to federal OCS? Or, what can I do to transfer to federal OCS WHILE I am attending traditional OCS? The LT said I have to shine in RSPO and Traditional, but is there any other way before I sign my contract next week or after Basic?

PS. I didnt make a search because I feel the current economy can play a role on this matter, so I want updated information; not from 2007 or 2008.

Re: Accelerated vs Traditional (California)

The California program is merely playing the odds. Non-prior service (NPS) OCS applicants do not succeed at the same rate at accelerated OCS, because of their lack of background and depth in many military tasks. This doesn't make them bad people, but it does mean that as a group they benefit from more time to assimilate the lessons of military service. Yes, some NPS do just fine at accelerated OCS. Nevertheless, the program isn't designed for the convenience of the applicant. While as an applicant you may not like it, as a taxpayer you should be glad that the program is trying to maximize the success rate. No one gains when an OCS applicant flunks. It's better to walk to success than run to failure.

Comment

Re: Accelerated vs Traditional (California)

Originally posted by gbpxnick View Post
      This question is more related to officers who had been through the process.

I am a California 09s applicant and will be swearing in next week and go to basic in March 2012. After I passed my ASVAB GT requirement (scored 110+ on everything), I was interviewed by a 2nd LT for final approval as a 09s.

The LT informed me that I may not get the federal accelerated OCS because I am not a prior service, and I would most likely get the 18 months traditional OCS to slowly learn to be an officer. Though I can understand this reason, I am confident I will do well in accelerated. Now, if I was to get the 18 months training, what are my chances to appeal and transfer to federal OCS? Or, what can I do to transfer to federal OCS WHILE I am attending traditional OCS? The LT said I have to shine in RSPO and Traditional, but is there any other way before I sign my contract next week or after Basic?

PS. I didnt make a search because I feel the current economy can play a role on this matter, so I want updated information; not from 2007 or 2008.
      Also, one thing to watch out for is that the culture of Federal OCS right now is very different than the way it was back in 2007-2008. I did not attend Federal, but I ate at the OCS DFAC quite a few times this past summer while I was at IBOLC. From what I hear, it's very much like Accelerated OCS. It's the ****; just 4 weeks longer.

However, I did attend Accelerated OCS in South Dakota. We did have a few TACs from the CA ARNG; they were probably doing their 2 week AT. They all seemed very professional and competent based on what I saw.

Comment

Working...
      X