X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What path to take?

I am in the middle of getting a bachelors degree in Computer Science and want to become an officer in the military after graduating college. What options are available to me besides ROTC (ROTC won't work)? Is there any way I could start the process now, such as training on the weekends?

Re: What path to take?

So training on the weekends and a two week annual training will work, but ROTC won't. Care to elaborate?

You could probably enlist and request OCS after you graduate, or just wait until you get closer to graduation until you start the process as an OCS candidate.

Comment

The amount of course hours ROTC adds, joining late, and the sheer difficulty of my major doesn't really make a good combination in my opinion.
      What specifically is of interest to me is warrant officer, as I feel like being a commission officer would make very little use of my major.
      What are my options specifically in regards to becoming a warrant officer?
      I am about to be a 2nd semester sophomore, if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by mastablasta View Post
        What specifically is of interest to me is warrant officer, as I feel like being a commission officer would make very little use of my major.
        What are my options specifically in regards to becoming a warrant officer?
        I am about to be a 2nd semester sophomore, if that helps.
        The path to WO is longer. Commissioned officers are generalists, whereas warrant officers have a narrower and deeper concentration. While there are minimum standards for appointment as a WO, there's more flexibility (which can work either for or against you). Your civilian degree and work experience will count for your WO appointment packet. You must be able to demonstrate that you have a deep background in a WO MOS.

Based on what you've written, I recommend: enlist in a 25-series MOS (which feeds directly into the 25-series WO MOSs), work in the computer science field as a civilian, serve for several years and earn the rank of sergeant, then apply for appointment as a WO.

Comment

You may want to do some research to see if any of the Signal WO fields align with what you think you want to do:

http://www.signal.army.mil/ocos/divs/warrant.html

FWIW, I've never run across any Signal WO's...you also want to check in on Signal WO slots in your state/region.

Comment

In addition to the path to WO being longer, you may want to take a look at Signal WO areas to make sure they align with your goals:
            http://www.signal.army.mil/ocos/divs/warrant.html

FWIW (admittedly, probably not much), I haven't ever come across a Signal WO. You may want to do some research on slots in your state/region before you head down a path with few openings and/or no room for advancement.

Comment

Originally posted by collk22 View Post

FWIW (admittedly, probably not much), I haven't ever come across a Signal WO. You may want to do some research on slots in your state/region before you head down a path with few openings and/or no room for advancement.

Excellent guidance, and I should have mentioned that myself. Your State's OSM, WOSM, or Command Chief WO can offer specific advice on developing a realistic career path.

Comment

Your state ARNG probibly has an OCS course that MIGHT work with your schedule. You need a minimum of 60 college credits to apply and probibly will have to have a recruiter schedule an interview for you to meet with the OCS commander for a letter of acceptance into the next OCS class. That is the way we do it in RI. Your state may have a different guideline. Best of luck. You'll be a strong addition to the Guard.
                Originally posted by mastablasta View Post
                I am in the middle of getting a bachelors degree in Computer Science and want to become an officer in the military after graduating college. What options are available to me besides ROTC (ROTC won't work)? Is there any way I could start the process now, such as training on the weekends?

Comment

You might also give some thought to joining the Guard in a specialty that interests you that has nothing to do with your civilian career. Though you may have found your passion in technology in college, you might find that when you're doing it for years on end as a profession, the thought of putting on a uniform every month and doing something completely different has its own appeal.

Comment

Working...
                  X