X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Police Officer (31)

Does the ARNG have Military Police Commissioned Officer positions? If so, how would one guarantee themselves a slot? I've heard OCS is a **** shoot. Apparently, you go there and depending on your OML you get to select from what is available at the time in your state?

Re: Military Police Officer (31)

Originally posted by 2flywiththeNG View Post
    Does the ARNG have Military Police Commissioned Officer positions? If so, how would one guarantee themselves a slot? I've heard OCS is a **** shoot. Apparently, you go there and depending on your OML you get to select from what is available at the time in your state?
    It depends on your state.

Sometimes you may be able to contact the CDR of the unit you want to go to and obtain a Letter of Acceptance.

Comment

Contact the unit prior to OCS or during OCS? I'll have my Bachelor's in Criminal Justice-Law Enforcement April 2012. I'd like to do something within the CJ field as my back up plan to aviation.

Comment

Yes, there are Offier positions with MP's. Each state has different numbers of positions and and different needs and priorities. My state (Indiana) looked at several factors. The OML for my state was never used unless you were trying to get a very limited branch. They will consider your degree when branching you. I would say you have a pretty good chance of being slotting MP with a CJ degree. Contact an OSR or OSM within your state for the most accurate information.

Comment

Contact the unit prior to OCS or during OCS? I'll have my Bachelor's in Criminal Justice-Law Enforcement April 2012. I'd like to do something within the CJ field as my back up plan to aviation.
          Stop thinking police and think light cav when looking at the MP branch. MP's, except CID, play no real role in LE as most of it has been turned over to DA Police.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
            Stop thinking police and think light cav when looking at the MP branch. MP's, except CID, play no real role in LE as most of it has been turned over to DA Police.
            So is it safe to say that branching MP wouldn't really give me LE experience in the ARNG or be a 'resume booster' for a career in federal, state, county or local LE?

Comment

So is it safe to say that branching MP wouldn't really give me LE experience in the ARNG or be a 'resume booster' for a career in federal, state, county or local LE?
              It's a decent resume booster, but it's not a golden ticket either. By the same token, we have plenty of Infantrymen and Cannoneers who serve as law enforcement at various levels.

I once had a cook who was an ATF agent. He explained that his civilian job was so stressful that he found the predictability and routine of serving as a cook to be very theraputic. He was also the only cook I ever had who could shoot well.

Comment

Correct. It would be no more of a resume booster then being an Infantry Officer or a Finance Officer. At least for Federal Positions, you would be better off going Intelligence or something extremely technical that they could use. Also, while the clearance wouldn't transfer, knowing you are eligible for a Top Secret Clearance could look favorably (which you would need for MI and not for MP).

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                  Correct. It would be no more of a resume booster then being an Infantry Officer or a Finance Officer. At least for Federal Positions, you would be better off going Intelligence or something extremely technical that they could use. Also, while the clearance wouldn't transfer, knowing you are eligible for a Top Secret Clearance could look favorably (which you would need for MI and not for MP).
                  MI sounds good to go. I spoke with a recruiter and he said that in his opinion from what he's seen, unless you already speak another language, typically you do not do well on the DLAB which is required to be taken for the OCS packet if I have intentions of branching that route. My state does have MI slots for commissioned officers but again, from what I understand whether I could branch that would depend on my ranking in my class' OML vs. availability in my state. Is this 'big bad OML' being blown out of proportion for the ARNG's OCS or is it more applicable to active duty's OCS?

Comment

MI sounds good to go. I spoke with a recruiter and he said that in his opinion from what he's seen, unless you already speak another language, typically you do not do well on the DLAB which is required to be taken for the OCS packet if I have intentions of branching that route. My state does have MI slots for commissioned officers but again, from what I understand whether I could branch that would depend on my ranking in my class' OML vs. availability in my state. Is this 'big bad OML' being blown out of proportion for the ARNG's OCS or is it more applicable to active duty's OCS?
                    You need to have your recruiter show you this in writing. I took the DLAB as part of OBC but it was in no way a requirement for OCS.

Comment

You need to have your recruiter show you this in writing. I took the DLAB as part of OBC but it was in no way a requirement for OCS.
                      Maybe I misheard what he said. It seemed that the FL ARNG's OCS applicants who are interested in MI are 'highly encouraged' to take the DLAB prior to attending OCS because of the difficulty of the specific languages (oddball ones like Mandarin etc.) that are available for the commissioned officer MI slots in FL. From my understanding, you need a certain score on the test to 'qualify' for the language and learning one of the 'available' ones specifically for my state is a requirement of working MI. Whether taking the DLAB and getting a certain score is a requirement before or after OCS, it's still a requirement is what I understand.

So, what would really like to know is out of my two options for attending OCS:

National Guard Bureau Accelerated OCS

Where: School locations vary by season and state
                      When: Eight weeks straight, seven days a week, winter or summer session

Or

Federal OCS

Where: Fort Benning, Georgia
                      When: 14 weeks, courses offered year-round

When/how/where would I get to choose what I would branch specifically related to the ARNG?

Comment

The DLAB for an MI unit makes sense since some them require you have a language.

Traditional, accelerated or Federal OCS and branching is really going to depend on your state. You would need to ask the OSM or RTI staff.

Comment

You would need to ask the OSM or RTI staff.
                          Forgive me but who/what are they? If they have the specific answers I seek unique to my state then, yes, I would love to get in touch with them!

Comment

Forgive me but who/what are they? If they have the specific answers I seek unique to my state then, yes, I would love to get in touch with them!
                            OSM = Officer Strength Manager (Basically the Officer Recruiter)

RTI = Regional Training Institue (The unit that houses each states OCS school)

Any member of your states Recrutiing Command should be able to provide contact information for each.

Comment

In my commissioning experience, the OML was never used. States vary, so its hard to say. I am commissioned and I did not have to take the DLAB.

Comment

Working...
                              X