X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualification for Officers?

Here is my short background; I am 34 years old, married and have dependents, I am US citizen, I have Associate degree, speak 5 languages, 3 of them are my native and then off course English and German, Recruiter tells me I can join Georgia National Guard as an officer but I have to complete my Bachelor Degree in next 5 years. Here are few of the questions I have which I know being a Sales person myself, I am not getting full truth from beloved recruiter

1. Can I join as an officer if I have associate degree?
    2. What is the ASVEB score requirement for me to qualify?
    3. After basic if for some reason they drop me from OCS list, am I obligated to serve?
    4. Is is better to go for computer ASVEB or paper?
    Last edited by kamran1977; November 22nd, 2011, 08:38 AM.

Re: Qualification for Officers?

1. No, you cannot enlist directly into the National Guard as an officer. However, if you qualify, you could enlist into the Officer Candidate School (OCS) option and attend Officer Candidate School.
    2. You will need at least a General Technical (GT) line score from the ASVAB, of at least 110 to qualify for OCS. Usually if you have scored at least a 65 on the ASVAB, you should be okay.
    3. Yes, if you enlist for OCS (09S enlistment option) you will have a 6 year contract/commitment. If drop out of OCS, then you will be required to attend AIT for an enlisted MOS.
    4. You will take the computer ASVAB as part of the MEPS process.

Comment

One caveat about the paper/computer ASVAB.

Depending on where you live, there are still some non-MEPS ASVAB testing locations that give the paper test. I was able to take the test at one of these locations without having to make a trip to the MEPS over 200 mi away. The disadvantage of this is that you don't get your official scores nor your line & composite scores back right away because the answer sheets have to be sent to MEPS to be scored.

Comment

Thank you for the answers and I do believe I am ready to serve!

Comment

Just make sure you enlist before your 35th birthday.

Comment

1. Can I join as an officer if I have associate degree?
            While you can start OCS, you will not be able to comission until you have 90 credits.

Comment

Working...
            X