Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creditors and Commanders

Here's the issue:

Soldier gets married in May - secures a minister by paying a deposit. Here we are in November and the minister has not received the balance of the agreed upon cost. The soldier and his wife are being pretty elusive about it, "check's in the mail" kind of thing when someone can get a hold of them.

Fastforward to today, the Minister contacts my fulltime staff at the armory to see if there's anything we can do to help resolve the issue...so, what, if anything, can I do as a Commander?

Re: Creditors and Commanders

PM Sent....

Comment

My advice, this is a civil matter and the minister needs to take that route. I doubt a commander has authority to get involved even you wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
        Here's the issue:

Soldier gets married in May - secures a minister by paying a deposit. Here we are in November and the minister has not received the balance of the agreed upon cost. The soldier and his wife are being pretty elusive about it, "check's in the mail" kind of thing when someone can get a hold of them.

Fastforward to today, the Minister contacts my fulltime staff at the armory to see if there's anything we can do to help resolve the issue...so, what, if anything, can I do as a Commander?
        You can counsel the soldier on a generic basis about failure to pay just debts, and why it is important to pay bills and so fourth in a generic format.....

And thats about it. It is an outside matter, but a counseling is in order.

You start the paper trail now, in case this type of behavior becomes a repeated problem and interferes with duty, then failing to pay debts can become a UCMJ offense depending on your state law, and/or if the soldier is title 10.

The main problem with this, like all misconduct type stuff, the paper trail is never started...then when the commander finally wants to take action, and has the authority to do so, he doesn't have the evidence trail to support the action.

In short, counsel him....in generic terms.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
          My advice, this is a civil matter and the minister needs to take that route. I doubt a commander has authority to get involved even you wanted to.
          +1 obviously on active duty, a Commander gets involved when it gets beyond the section's control. Not in this case. Why a PM needs to be sent? It is a learning experience for all.

Why type PM sent if I can't enjoy the response?

Comment

lol...I typed "PM Sent" so that people wouldn't think the question was ignored if no one else posted. I answered through PM so as to avoid potential sharpshooters if they happened upon the thread

Basically what I said though can be summed up in "Red Leg" and "para legal NCO"'s comments.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
              PM Sent....
              Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
              You can counsel the soldier on a generic basis about failure to pay just debts, and why it is important to pay bills and so fourth in a generic format.....

And thats about it. It is an outside matter, but a counseling is in order.

You start the paper trail now, in case this type of behavior becomes a repeated problem and interferes with duty, then failing to pay debts can become a UCMJ offense depending on your state law, and/or if the soldier is title 10.

The main problem with this, like all misconduct type stuff, the paper trail is never started...then when the commander finally wants to take action, and has the authority to do so, he doesn't have the evidence trail to support the action.

In short, counsel him....in generic terms.

Thank you everyone for the input; I figured there wasn't much I can do. I'll make sure the counseling gets done and we'll go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                lol...I typed "PM Sent" so that people wouldn't think the question was ignored if no one else posted. I answered through PM so as to avoid potential sharpshooters if they happened upon the thread

Basically what I said though can be summed up in "Red Leg" and "para legal NCO"'s comments.
                Oh ok I know about sharpshooting SSG so I understand where you are coming from but you have established a great re****tion in here.

Comment

Just as a follow up, the preacher emailed me today that he had received a bank issued check for the balance after calling the soldier and letting him know we were in contact.

Glad it worked out, because I was about to tell the preacher there wasn't much I was going to be able to do.

Comment

Well...apparently the preacher couldn't put the fear of God in him, so he put the fear of the Commander instead.

Comment

Working...
                    X